error message "the source folder is not valid"

Hi there,

I've been consistently getting the error message "the source folder is not valid. please change the source folder under zotero-action-zotfile preferences. you might have to use a custom folder".

What does this mean (what isn't working), and what custom folder do I choose? What are the criteria for a functional custom folder?

I've be using zotero/zotfile for some time but am still trying to figure out workflow between desktop/laptop/android tablet. Are you aware of any plain-language guides or resources that can help me understand and choose what preferences to enter? I find the language in the settings tab confusing. E.g. what are the implications for selecting a difference source folder for new files or file location, and how to I need to have my files set up to make this work? What is recommended?

Thank you!
R
  • You should post to the ZotFile thread to make sure that the developer (Joscha) reads it.

A plain-language guide is available there. It seems to me that you're mixing up "source folder" (from which ZotFile attaches new files to Zotero Items) and "base folder" (a folder which syncs with your tablet and where ZotFile sends files).
    (2) Change the Source Folder for Attaching new Files
    To attach new files to Zotero items, zotfile looks for the most recently modified (e.g. just downloaded) file in a user specified folder. For Zotero Firefox, this option is set to the Firefox download folder by default. For Zotero Standalone, this option has to be changed on the 'General Settings' tab in the preference window (Zotero Actions -> ZotFile Preferences). The source folder can be set to any location but I generally recommend setting it to your browser's download folder such as ~/Downloads on the mac for most browsers.
  • Okay I stumbled on a solution, I think. In FIREFOX Tools Options General, I didn't have the "save files" set to Download folder, rather to the "ask me" option. When I switched, this nagging "error" message disappeared, and I don't have to set a custom location. In the interim, I copied all files from the Zotero roaming appdata folder to the Mozilla Firefox Profile, and that seems not to have screwed things up. I'll have to re-set the location in Standalone to the Firefox profile now. I must say there needs to be more "plain English" in the Zotfile instructions. Thanks