Style Error: [IEEE]

It seems that with the latest IEEE style update the in text citations no longer group together when there are multiple consecutive citations. For example, now my sentence looks like this:

"Certain activities such as gait have been studied extensively and many researchers have established the relationship between gait and metabolic energy expenditure both experimentally and through simulation [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9], [10]."

when it should look like this:

"Certain activities such as gait have been studied extensively and many researchers have established the relationship between gait and metabolic energy expenditure both experimentally and through simulation [4]-[10]."

I use this style all the time and it used to work just fine. Can anyone provide a valid reference for this change if it was intentional, or change it back to grouped if it wasn't intentional? Thanks!
  • confirmed. That's not intentional, looks like a processor bug to me. Frank?
  • edited July 4, 2013
    I confirm the bug (was not so in the previous versions), and I hope there will be a fix soon. Thanks!
  • I Confirm. To correct the problem edit the CSL and replace the Citation part to this:

<!-- Citation -->
    <citation collapse="citation-number">
    <sort>
    <key variable="citation-number"/>
    </sort>
    <layout prefix="[" suffix="]" delimiter=",">
    <text variable="citation-number"/>
    </layout>
    </citation>

It will fix the problem
  • edited July 5, 2013
    Yes, the patch seems to work perfectly. Thanks for the prompt answer!

Just one more question: I found the stylesheets directory in use with file search, but is there an option to set (and see) this address?
  • the styles directory is in the Zotero data folder:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

but you don't actually need to interact with the style folder to edit&save the style:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Thanks, adamsmith!
    And sorry for the stupid question, the documentation was already there, I just didn't search the right words.
  • Nice patch! Has the official Zotero version of the style been updated or do we have to do this individually? The last update was 5/30 so it doesn't look like it. Are there plans to do so? Thanks!
  • You'll have to do this individually. The IEEE style itself is correct, it's the processor that's mishandling this. While the patch works, it removes the ability to add locators to citations in text, which is rare, but permitted in IEEE, so this will need to get fixed at a higher level.
  • Oh okay. Is there a better way than this forum to request the fix? It's an extremely popular citation format for almost all fields of engineering, I'm surprised that it's been a month and a half since the last update with this major error.
  • Hi, I'm the author of the citation processor. I'm looking into this, should have something to show tomorrow.
  • Beautiful! Thanks, looking forward to it.
  • Okay, try installing this processor patch plugin (it works only with Zotero for Firefox, not Standalone).

Handling this use case required a small adjustment to the logic inside the processor. I'm pretty sure that collapsing stopped working as soon as we added locators to the style.

With the latest processor version, collapsing will be suppressed on items that have a locator, but enabled on items that have none. Here are the relevant processor tests:

collapse CitationNumberRangesWithAffixes
    collapse CitationNumberRangesWithAffixesGrouped
    collapse CitationNumberRangesWithAffixesGroupedLocator

Let us know how it goes.
  • Yes! Perfect. Thank you! Is there somewhere I can read about what locators are, and how NOT to include them so I'm always able to collapse? Thanks!
  • locators are page numbers or other pinpoints assigned to a specific citation, e.g. in IEEE [1, p. 63], p. 63 is the locator. Obviously when you provide those (which is rare in numerical styles but allowed in IEEE), you don't want number to collapse, as you wouldn't know which locator belongs to which number anymore.
  • edited July 21, 2013
    true, you _can_ edit the style. I'd not recommend that as a general solution, though. If you don't use locators this problem won't come up either (anymore, with the fixed processor).