Book section: Link to book entered once

Hi,

If I want to add multiple sections from a single edited book, I have to enter the book information (editors, publisher, date) in each section.

I'd rather enter the book as its own citation, and then, when I'm entering a section, choose the book from a citation picker of some kind. This would save me lots of time, and it would also give me more confidence in the integrity of the database.

Thanks,
Devan
  • edited May 27, 2008
    I think something like that might be coming. In the meantime here's what I do:

1. make citation of whole book

2. right click the book in the middle column and duplicate entry

3. then cut the "title" and paste it in "book title" (but i don't have to reenter all the bibliographic data.

4. for other sections, I duplicate the the first section, then all I have to do is change the section "title" and author.

I often add 5 to 10 or more sections, and it really doesn't take that long.

Does that accomplish what you want?

EDIT: Oh, by the way...welcome to the forums! :)
  • Hi, arrgem,

That'll definitely help cut down on the repeat work. Nice solution.

The database-integrity concern persists, though, so hopefully something like this is on the way.

Best,
    Devan
  • Yes, please! It would be nice to be able to cross reference one item in the database from another (e.g. Bloggs (1998) "title" .... reprinted in X, page references are to this reprint.)

Or even just the simple case of Bloggs (1998) "Title" in CollectionX.

BibTeX can do this wiht a flat data structure .... why not Zotero?
  • Right. The problem is that Zotero will cite each chapter as a separate work in the Bib. Can this be fixed please?
  • Would love this feature, too. It just seems to make more sense to have one entry for a book, and multiple "sections" that I can choose to quote directly. Something like context-clicking on the book in Zotero and choosing "Add Book Section"....
  • Damn, I came to find out how to do this, but at least someone has already requested it as a feature. Any idea if the 'maybe' is actually under active development?

PS I have been blown away by how great zotero is, I'm pushing for my uni to officially adopt it
  • Note that you can now duplicate the book and change its type to "book section". The title will automatically move to the "book title" field and so forth.
  • @arggem, I wish I had seen this workaround suggestion before I entered so many sections from a book!

Here to echo the request for a feature where book sections can be linked to their parent book without a copy-and-paste workaround.
  • This is long-term planned, but since it requires a change/rework of the data model it's not something that will happen anytime soon.
  • Hi,
    I am just wondering if there is a way that added book sections can be moved to show up under the 'parent book'? I have already done the previous steps to create a book section but since I have so many different books in my Zotero library I though it would be more visually organized if book sections showed up under the main/'parent' book.

Best,
    Kameela
  • not currently - see above.
  • If you use the related tab to relate each section to the main book you can at least get a visual of all the sections for that book. Not quite what you probably want, but it works well for me. YMMV.
  • My workaround is to duplicate a 'book section' item. Then you have to change only the title, author, and page numbers.
  • Well, it seems that a lot of people want this feature, a parent book.
    I think it has not yet been resolved, or has it?
  • no, and won't be any time soon.
  • Hi all, this is my first entry. Love Zotero (and Zutilo), big respect and admiration for those who work tirelessly on it.

Just wanted to bump this issue, it's been a while since it was last addressed.

I'm a complete programming grandpa, so this is not meant as impatience but rather honest curiosity: can it really be that hard to enable book chapter citation items (with possible attachments added) to appear under the parent book tab? It would just be marvellous to have it visualised in this way.

Anyhow, thank you all again for contributing to this.
  • It's very hard, yes, because the way Zotero is built, it doesn't even have the concept of one bibliographic item (i.e. a chapter) being attached to another one (a book), so this is a drastic change to the way the whole database is built. It is a perfectly reasonable request, but I'm afraid it's really nowhere close to happening.
  • Alright then, I understand.

Very well, thank you for your answer and we will wait another couple of years; eventually, it will come. I'm sure of it.

Have yourselves a blessed day.
  • How about having only one side of the itemRelations related by a dc:relation filled in? That would give a way to build directed graphs. If custom predicates could be introduced (e.g for cited-by/cites relations), that would be super helpful.