apsa style, interviews and news articles, in-text vs. note-based

I'm excited to dump endnote for zotero, but I've come across a limitation in the aspa that is making me think twice.
According to the APSA guidelines, news articles and interviews should be note-based citations (full cite listed as a footnote rather than as an in-text citation), not in-text citations.

When I insert an item listed as an interview or news article from zotero it includes them as an in-text citation, which is incorrect.

Is there anyway where I can select whether an item should be an in-text citation or a note based citation for the APSA style?

One work around for this problem is to include interviews and news articles as static citatations (using the paste to clipboard function), but I do not want to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • One work around for this problem is to include interviews and news articles as static citatations (using the paste to clipboard function), but I do not want to do this.
    I'd say this is your only option, particularly if those items are supposed to be omitted from the bibliography.

If not, there is one other option: to insert those citations in notes, and change the style to print the full citation info. That brings other problems though.
  • Ho do I change the style to print the full citation info?

Including the interviews and articles as static citations really is less than optimal because it prevents me from reformatting in the future.

Is Zotero working on this at all? Because as the APSA style stands it is incorrect because interviews and news articles should not be in-text citations...

I appreciate your help and guidance! Thanks.
  • Changing the style requires some knowledge of XML ATM. If you're comfortable with that, see here.
    Is Zotero working on this at all? Because as the APSA style stands it is incorrect because interviews and news articles should not be in-text citations...
    What other software in the world correctly handles this, and can also seamlessly switch between note and in-text/styles (which Zotero can)?

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'none.'

So given that all of this involves difficult problems and trade-offs, a little less drama might be appropriate. In this case, we (e.g. you, me, or whoever) could add what you want to the style, but that would mean that anyone that uses it MUST always place those citations in notes themselves. Are you comfortable with enforcing that constraint?

Likewise, I (the author of the CSL style language) could probably figure out a way to configure this bizarre kind of rule, but it's not that trivial to implement for software and probably not the highest priority, so might be awhile until you actually see it work (though Zotero tends to be much more responsive than, say, ISI).
  • bdarcus -

Thanks a lot for your help. no drama intended. Your work is truly appreciated!