Duplicate citations appearing as different numbers

This is probably a really simple fix, but I'm having difficulty with my citations. If I cite the same article multiple times in the same document using insert citation, I would like its reference number to be the same every time. For example, the first article I cite is by Esterling and I cite the same article again on page 6 and page 9. I would like the citations on pages 6 and 9 to be (1) just like on the first page. As of now, every time I enter a new citation it is coded as a new number, even when the article has already been cited in the text. Thus, citations (1), (23), and (34) can all refer to the same article. I'm guessing there is a simple answer, but I've gone in circles trying to figure it out. Thanks!
  • which citation style?
  • I'm probably asking an unnecessary couple of questions: Does every repeated citation (in addition to Esterling) result in incrementing numbers? If not, could you possibly have duplicated Esterling items in your library?

An answer to what @adamsmith asked is an essential part of providing help.
  • I have been using the Chicago Manual of Style simply because it was the default. I explored some with the other styles but didn't notice a difference. And yes @DWL-SDCA, every repeated citation results in incrementing numbers.
  • Chicago Manual uses footnotes, they're always numbered consecutively (and that's what CMoS requires). If you want the same number to refer to the same reference, switch to a numeric style, e.g. Vancouver or Nature.
  • Perfect! I figured it would be something simple. Thanks so much for your quick help!