"Unfiled Items" not highlited as a collection via select + CNTRL key

(1) I have an "Journal Article" which is still in "Unfiled Items", but it has a tag.

(2) Had a search which filtered on tag.

(3) tried to found its "Collection" via select + CNTRL key, but no collection wwas highlighted.

---

Finally dawned on me that it must be in "Unfiled Items".

-----

I think items in "Unfiled Items" ought to get highlighted too.
  • Unfiled Items isn't a collection—it's essentially just a saved search, and those don't get highlighted either.
  • The whole point about "unfiled items" is that they are _not_ in any collection, so treating it as a collection would be rather odd.

On a more technical level, like "Duplicate Items", "Unfiled Items" is a saved search - none of the saved searches get highlighted with ctrl and I don't think that would be feasible since their content is updated whenever you select them.
  • To me the "Unfiled Items" "collection" is the collection of items which don't have an assigned collection. In other words it is the collection of items which have "nil" as their collection specification. It is a "holding" collection.

I can make a real "Unfilled Items" Collection and move all the items into it. But then I have to remember to unlink the item if I add it to some other collection. I don't have any good way to test if the item is in my personal "Unfiled Items " collection and another collection.

I'm trying to point out that there is a difference between how I am trying to use the "Unfiled Items" "button" and how you perceive it as programmed as a "Saved Search". Why should I care how it is programmed under the covers?

-------------

To me this is a quirk. Now I know that if I can't find any collection highlighted, then I should look in "Unfiled Items".

So to find the item, I had to;

(1) Lose focus of the search on which I was working by clicking on "Unfiled Items".

(2) I had to resort since I was sorting by "Journal".

(3) I had to remember what items I was looking for and find it in the list...

(4) Go back to my Saved Search

(5) Resort on Journal article.

------------

I'm basically lazy. If mouse select+Cntrl had worked, then I wouldn't have had to do any of that...
  • I don't understand why you need the highlight? If nothing gets highlighted, it's unfiled.
  • the "Unfiled Items" "collection" is the collection of items which don't have an assigned collection.
    That's quite a paradox you've got there.

Other than that, what adamsmith says
  • adamsmith

I don't understand why you need the highlight? If nothing gets highlighted, it's unfiled.
    I guess because I'm an idiot. :-)

I was scrolling up and down the list of collections looking for the collection(s) which contained the Journal article. I wasn't looking for absence of the Journal article being detected.

-------------

To make a better analogy, I think of the "Unfiled Items" like my e-mails Inbox. Once I deal with an item, I dump it from the Inbox.

The nice thing about "unfiled Items" is that as soon as I link it to something, it drops from the list. It is also annoying at times when I want to link an item to more than one collection.

-------------

I could create a work around to get the behavior I want. From "My Library" I create two collections. "Filed Items" and "Unfiled Items". "Unfiled Items" is a singleton. "Filed Items" would have a hierarchy.

Now I could search for items that are in "Unfiled Items" and "Filed Items" which would be a logical mistake on my part...

------------------

I understand that I'm not convincing you. I'll drop the rope...