"Saving webpages"

Ok, stumbled across something new to me!

I was looking at a Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haar_measure

On firefox tool bar I right clicked on the Zotero icon in the address field.

I get two options
* Save to Zotero using "Wikipedia"
* Save to Zotero using "COinS"
Problem 1

Is there any reason that this couldn't be a little more plain English?

* Save Encyclopedia Article to Zotero
* Save References to Zotero

Save to Zotero using "Wikipedia" makes no sense to me. I did it and I now know what it does.

Save to Zotero using "COinS" Never heard of "COinS" before, but after selecting the option it was obvious want it was doing.

Just seems like unnecessary geekspeek to me.

The GUI in this case knows that the type is "Encyclopedia Article" since that icon type is being displayed in Firefox.
Problem 2

Instead of right click inside webpage and selecting "Zotero / Create webpage Item from current page" I'd like to have an option on the Firefox/Zotero icon. So add:

* Save Web Page snapshot to Zotero

Since the icon, in this case is the Encyclopedia icon, this would create both the weblinked "Encyclopedia Article" and add a snapshot.
Problem 3

When you do a right click with the article you can select:

"Zotero / Create webpage Item from current page"

This should be changed to:

"Zotero / Snapshot Web Page"

and there should be a second option here...

"Zotero / Snapshot Encyclopedia Article"

To know that the Snapshot Encyclopedia Article was valid, the code would have to check under the covers here. I don't think that it should show up as a choice if it isn't valid.
  • 1. just lists the translator that's being used. It's very helpful for us for troubleshooting to allow people to report this, but otherwise few people seem to notice it. These options aren't WP specific and often the item type for the different options available via right-click is the same, so just doing "Encyclopedia entry" or its equivalent won't do.

2/3 Having a clear GUI separation between items added with (more or less) complete data via translators and items added simply as a webpage with only the most rudimentary data is done on purpose and has proven quite useful. I don't think it should be changed. If you want a quicker way to add an item via translator, you can set a keyboard shortcut for Zotero_Browser.scrapeThisPage() via keyconfig
  • Thanks for explanation Adam. I know zilch about the translators.

It seems that you'll need to refactor the database again sometime in the future. For each Zotero record It seems you need an "Added by" as well as the date entered.

* Manually
    * Wikipedia translator v 2.03
    * COinS translator v 6.47
    and so on.

That way at least if some (whistling now...) bitches about import there is somewhere to look about what is going on.
  • We can typically tell which translator imported which record by looking at the Library Catalog field. Date entered is already present as Date Added.