21292840 error

The file 'C:\Users\pilottma\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cmjeyu4j.default\zotero\storage\DA9NTN3K\Minimal Pairs in Spoken Corpora.pdf' cannot be updated.

Check that the file is not currently in use, that its permissions allow write access, and that it has a valid filename.

Restarting your computer or disabling security software may also help.
  • I uninstalled Firefox a long time ago and installed Zotero standalone, but it still seems to be looking in
    Firefox folders. When I tried to sync I got a message to say that my password was not recognised, although I had not changed it.
  • I tried to open Zotero again, but now it won't work at all. Each time I try something (eg sort by title) I get a message saying there has been an error. Latest error number is 751358176
  • If you're running security software on your system, try temporarily disabling it. It may be interfering with Zotero.

You can also navigate to that file in Windows Explorer, right-click on it, click Properties, and make sure the Read-Only checkbox isn't selected, but that usually happens as a result of security software.
  • Hi Dan
    This is a university system so I don't have authority. Every time I open Zoterao I get the same message:
    [JavaScript Error: "The file 'C:\Users\pilottma\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cmjeyu4j.default\zotero\storage\DA9NTN3K\Minimal Pairs in Spoken Corpora.pdf' cannot be updated.
    Check that the file is not currently in use, that its permissions allow write access, and that it has a valid filename.
    Restarting your computer or disabling security software may also help."]
    [JavaScript Error: "State check failed due to transaction in progress"]
    It always refers to the same file. Since the file is not important I just deeleted it. Now I see the file is back again!
  • You'd have to delete the associated item in Zotero and then empty the trash.

But this generally indicates a problem with file permissions or security software, and there's no particular reason to think it'll be limited to that one file.
  • Hi
    I am now getting the error on my home computer.
    I deleted the file, then deleted it from the Zotero server so it wouldn't be synched,emptied trash, restarted Zotero. Then I disabled the security software and restarted Zotero. An error came up giving the same message about another file. I have moved all storage out of Firefox folders and into Dropbox.
  • This is now happening every time I start Zotero, making it unusable. I have restarted the computer with no effect.
    Marty
  • I can't tell you what specifically is causing this, just that it's something on your computer that's interfering, and there's nothing the Zotero client can do about that, so you'll have to figure out what the culprit is.
    I have moved all storage out of Firefox folders and into Dropbox.
    Meaning you have your entire data directory in Dropbox? You absolutely don't want to do that. There are advanced ways to have just the 'storage' directory in Dropbox, but you can't have your entire data directory there. And if you're experiencing a problem like this, you shouldn't have the 'storage' directory there either. Move it back to the local hard drive and change the location in Zotero, and then see if this still happens.
  • Hi
    The move to Dropbox was an attempt to solve the problem, not a cause. I noted it was referring to a Mozilla directory even though I had uninstalled Firefox, so I thought it might be trying to access non-existent directories.
    I have now moved the directory back to another directory on the computer itself. I have opened Zotero successfully onced and will see how it goes.
  • Error 1080609469
    I just opened Zotero on my laptop and get the same problem. when loading it says "Transaction in progress in Zotero.Sync.Server._checkSyncUser" with the above number. So it is faulting over three computers. I restarted Zotero and at the moment it is working.
  • Can you temporarily disable auto-sync, restart Firefox/Zotero, and provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces this?
  • Yes, done. The Debug ID is D2003596423. But there were no error messages. I'll try it on another computer too.
  • On another computer: The Debug ID is D1144144949. No errors again.
  • We'll need a Debug ID that includes the error, I'm afraid. If you can get it to occur with auto-sync enabled, you can use the "Enable after restart" debug output logging option.