"An Error Has Occurred. Please Restart...." EVERY TIME

Report ID: 432425231 (PC #1)
Report ID: 2078973951 (PC #2)

Hi, I probably messed up my database somehow and now I cannot use Zotero anymore. (I already did a "Check Database Integrity" and it returns no errors)

Zotero opens normally, but as soon as I start viewing some of my library entries, it gives this error. Every time. I use Zotero on two different PCs, and this happens on both... Maybe i screwed up something since I actually keep the two databases in sync with Zotero Storage, but also with a conventional file synchronization tool (it synchronizes all my files on both PCs, including the Zotero database...)

Any suggestions? I would like to avoid deleting all my database and re-downloading it from the cloud, but maybe that's the only solution...

PS: debug output from PC #2:

[JavaScript Error: "Translator with ID 2d174277-7651-458f-86dd-20e168d2f1f3 already loaded from "Canadiana.ca.js"" {file: "file:///C:/Users/braga/Documents/UNITN/SOI/Refs/Zotero/translators/Canadiana.org.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "Translator with ID 6614a99-479a-4524-8e30-686e4d66663e already loaded from "Nature Publishing Group.js"" {file: "file:///C:/Users/xxx/Documents/xxx/Refs/Zotero/translators/Nature.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "Translator with ID 23ba3be6-412d-4dde-9cc1-c4df0cc09378 already loaded from "Library Catalog (SIRSI eLibrary).js"" {file: "file:///C:/Users/xxx/Documents/xxx/Refs/Zotero/translators/Rice%20University%20Library%20Catalog.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "Translator with ID 48d3b115-7e09-4134-ad5d-0beda6296761 already loaded from "AIP.js"" {file: "file:///C:/Users/xxx/Documents/xxx/Refs/Zotero/translators/SPIEAIP.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "The file 'C:\Users\xxx\Documents\xxx\Refs\Zotero\storage\2X8K48TD\TED2011_Richardson.pdf' cannot be updated.

Check that the file is not currently in use, that its permissions allow write access, and that it has a valid filename.

Restarting your computer or disabling security software may also help."]

[JavaScript Error: "State check failed due to transaction in progress"]

[JavaScript Error: "State check failed due to transaction in progress"]

version => 4.0.8, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.1; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Firefox, appVersion => 21.0

=========================================================

(4)(+0000000): Unregistering observer in notifier with hash 'lo'

(5)(+0000001): DROP TABLE tmpSearchResults_0qSUjID1

(4)(+0000002): Registering observer for [item,collection-item,item-tag,share-items,bucket] in notifier with hash Qo'

(1)(+0000001): An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox.

You can report this error by selecting "Report Errors…" from the Actions (gear) menu.

(1)(+0000001): An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox.

You can report this error by selecting "Report Errors…" from the Actions (gear) menu.
  • edited May 21, 2013
    Given that you've used syncing tools outside of Zotero that are clearly causing problems, you're pretty much on your own here. But you should reset translators and styles from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, and disable any security software you're running to try to fix that file sync error. Zotero shouldn't crash like that (and that may be because of other problems), but something is interfering with Firefox's ability to write to the Zotero data directory.
  • In the end it seems that I solved it... it was all due to a "read-only" attribute in one of the PDFs in the database!

Perhaps ZOTERO could give a less cryptic error in these cases... I know it is probably a rare error, but anyway...