"Sync every X min" option

Apologies if this is redundant with another post. I tried searching multiple times but the search engine was stuck thinking for hours each time so I gave up .....

Just wanted to make a suggestion to include an option for timed syncing in the next release (i.e., sync every 5 min, every 15 min, every hour, etc). This would be enormously helpful as my computer really doesn't like syncing automatically and I am not organized enough to remember to sync every time I'm about to leave my desk.

Several years ago I stopped syncing automatically because it was eating up an enormous amount of memory on my computer. I occassionally sync manually but mostly use another mechanism for library back up. But, now I'm using Zotpad (love the most recent version) and really need to sync regularly to get the full benefit of the app. I turned auto sync back on and sure enough it is constantly trying to sync and killing my comptuer. This could be somewhat alleviated if I had an option to sync every once and a while instead of every single time I add or change a file.
  • It should only be syncing when you make changes. If it's trying to sync all the time, there's another issue at hand.

To be clear, do you mean that the sync arrow is constantly spinning? If so, what does it say when you hover over it?
  • Sorry for the confusion. The syncing is working correctly. When I say all the time I mean each time I make a change to the database. This can be irritating because I often make many changes to my library in one sitting. When I do this, the syncing that is initiated after the first change results in the notorious spinning beach ball which means I have to wait until it's done to make the next change to my library which, of course, prompts the sync again. I've had this problem when my computer was brand new and also recently (3 yr old MBP with 8GB of memory).

If I could choose to sync every 15 min for example, then I could make a series of changes that say take 5-10 min and the software would then sync when I'm done. I realize this may not be optimal for everyone but if you give folks an option of syncing automatically versus after a timed period versus manual sync people could choose the option that works best for them.
  • If it's causing that much load on each sync, it's not working correctly. Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync that triggers the beach ball?
  • Here's the debug ID: D2004234357. To be clear, the beach ball only happens at the onset of sync and lasts about 20 sec. So, it's a minor inconvenience but I'm sure you know, 20 sec of frozen computer time feels like a lifetime ;)

On a related note, I am fairly certain I synced after I made my most recent change and if not, I only added 1-2 references since syncing. When I synced to get the debug ID just now though, it had >2900 items to sync. I don't get it .... Took over 10 min to complete.
  • You're at your file sync quota. It looks like there's a bug in 4.0 that's causing Zotero to still go through all of your unsynced files each time after receiving a quota error, but you can fix this by just turning off file syncing—which isn't doing anything for you at the moment—in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences. (You could also purchase a Zotero storage subscription if you're interested in syncing the remainder of your files.) After that, syncs should be instantaneous. Let me know if not.

I'll try to reproduce and fix the bug that's causing the slowdown in this case.
  • This has totally fixed the issue - thanks so much!