British Journal of Political Science - style changed

Hi,

BJPS seems to have changed its citation style. It used to be full citation in footnotes without reference list. Now they want autor-date in footnotes with a reference list at the end.

http://journals.cambridge.org/images/fileUpload/documents/BJPOLS_style_sheet.pdf

Does anybody know what this resembles to in existing Zotero styles?
  • that's reasonably close to "International Organization" - I'll fix the style asap, but might take a little time. Looks similar to the newish World Politics style, too.
  • Great. Will get back to you with a comparison of IO or WP and BJPS.
  • don't worry about the differences - I'll just do it, it's polisci, I've been rejected by all three ;-).
  • Haha. You are better than me, I haven't even tried any of them.

Anyway, here is a comparison of the most important items in IO and BJPS style. I'll probably do it manually because I need this paper off my desk.

Style sheets:
    http://assets.cambridge.org/INO/INO_ifc.pdf
    http://journals.cambridge.org/images/fileUpload/documents/BJPOLS_style_sheet.pdf

Books: appears to be the same.

IO: Checkel, Jeffrey. 1997. Ideas and International Political Change: Soviet/Russian Behavior and the End of the Cold War. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press.

BJPS: Elster, Jon. 1983. Explaining Technical Change: A Case Study in the Philosophy of Science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Chapters: position of page numbers, (the two periods following editors in BJPS is probably a typo)

IO: Grieco, Joseph. 1993. Anarchy and the Limits of Cooperation. In Neorealism and New Liberalism: The Contemporary Debate, edited by David Baldwin, 116– 42. New York: Columbia University Press.

BJPS: Simmons, Beth A., Frank Dobbin, and Geoffrey Garrett. 2008. The Diffusion of Liberalization. Pp. 59–80 in The Global Diffusion of Markets and Democracy, edited by Beth A. Simmons, Frank Dobbin and Geoffrey Garrett.. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Journal articles: Issue number

IO: Risse, Thomas. 2000. ‘Let’s Argue!’: Communicative Action in World Politics. International Organization 54 (1):1–39.

BJPS: Hechter, Michael. 1995. Reflections on Historical Prophecy in the Social Sciences. American Journal of Sociology 100:1520-7.
    BJPS wants no issue number in journal article references. Only "references to an article in a journal that has no paper version should include the issue number as well as the volume number." I guess that would have to be sorted out manually.

Conference Papers: exact date

IO: Note that IO style includes an ordinal number for meeting year: Kilroy, Bernadette. 1995. Member-State Control of Judicial Independence. Paper presented at the 97th Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, August, San Diego, Calif.

BJPS: Aachen, Christopher H. 2000. Why Lagged Dependent Variables Can Suppress the Explanatory Power of Other Independent Variables. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Political Methodology Society, Los Angeles, CA, 20-22 July.

Web pages: date, URL, “Accessed” capitalization

IO: Marshall, Monty G., Keith Jaggers, and Ted Robert Gurr. ND. Polity IV Project: Political Regime Characteristics and Transitions, 1800-2010. Available from http://www.systemicpeace.org/polity/polity4.htm, accessed 18 May 2012.

BJPS: Fischer, Joschka. 1998a. Rede aus Anlass der Übername der Amtsgeschäfte, Bonn (28 October). Available from <http:00www.auswaertiges-amt.de/6_archiv/2/r/R981028b.htm>. Accessed 15 December 1998.

Newspaper articles: reference entry

IO: No entry in the reference list is needed; instead, include relevant information in a footnote: Los Angeles Times, 4 April 2002, A1. Article titles and authors are omitted except when including them would enhance understanding of points made in the text or the source.

BJPS: Matthews, David 2010. A man with a mission. Washington Post Sunday Magazine. W14. 29 January.
  • And in addition...

Footnotes:
    1Elster 1983, 174.

Multiple references should be ordered alphabetically and separated by semicolons, i.e.,
    1Elster 1983, 174; Marx and Engels 2004[1848].

Multiple references to the same author in the same year should be separated by a letter in alphabetical order, by their order of appearance in the list of references, i.e.,
    1Elster 1983a; Elster 1983b.

When there are four authors or more, ‘et al.’ is used in footnote references, but not in the reference list itself.
    1 Meadows et al. 1972

The original year of publication should be inserted in brackets for items where publication year differs substantially from the original year of publication.
    1Marx and Engels 2004[1848].

Items that have no date identified can be listed as follows:
    1Marshall, Jaggers and Gurr ND.
  • So far IO style doesn't seem to abbreviate page numbers as in Hess and Martin 2006, 262–264 to 262-64. It seems that BJPS style requires that.
  • IO style wants Ibid. for repeated references, BJPS doesn't.
  • BJPS wants chronological order in references to works from the same author. IO style seems to order items pretty randomly.
  • updated BJPS is now up