connector for Chrome : Where?!

This is a SCREAM for help!

Due to a major crash I had to re-install Zotero, (along with everything else!)so downloaded v:4 clicking on the Chrome green button.

Nothing works! Repeated attempts at download, hours searching Zotero, much talk about the connector, no answer to: from where can I download it!!!!!

This is in my view a lack in the basic instructions.

ie: to download Zotero 4 for google chrome:

For Windows 7 go to URL. follow these steps: 1: ---- 2: ---- 3: ---
---

To download the latest connector version for Chrome:

1: go to url. 2: --- etc.

Simple, clear, FAST!!!!

Much as I like Zotero it really isn't worth this much hassle!
  • edited May 16, 2013
    http://www.zotero.org/download/

For Zotero Standalone, click the large red button on the Zotero Standalone side (right) that says "Zotero 4.0 for Windows".

For Chrome connector, click on the Chrome icon under Zotero Standalone. This takes you to the Google Chrome store.

I'm not sure what's not clear. If the Google Chrome store interface is not clear, we can try to guide you, but we can't do anything about it.

Edit: Clarified Zotero Standalone part
  • edited May 16, 2013
    Having covered the download part, I'm not convinced that you haven't already installed it. If you say that
    so downloaded v:4 clicking on the Chrome green button.
    it sounds to me like you already have the connector installed. If the button is green and it says "Added to Chrome" (rather than the button being blue and saying "Add to Chrome") then it should be installed. You can verify by going to Tools -> Extensions in Chrome. You'll also be able to tell what version you have. It should say 3.0.8.1 (not 4.0). That is fine and everything will be working properly.
  • That makes more sense. I was actually thinking to myself that this would be the second report of something fishy going on with Chrome. Should pay more attention to names.

@peterhindrup, if you think that you managed to install Zotero extension for Google Chrome, check this page: http://www.amazon.com/The-Wealth-Nations-Adam-Smith/dp/161382081X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368761818&sr=8-1&keywords=adam+smith You should see a Zotero URL bar icon (book)
  • Thanks everybody.

I had the 'added to chrome' showing, but it wasn't working.

Having gone through all the steps again -- repeatedly! -- it is finally working.

Why? no idea but I have had a few 'funnies' with this computer Sony vio, Z series, Intel core, i7-2640M 2.80GHz Memo4 GB.

My computer people ask: 'what did you do to it?' And look skeptical when I say nothing.
    Nevertheless there are several 'funnies' that they cannot find the reason for, nor eliminate.

By the way I have been working with computers since 1980 ---
    not exactly unfamiliar with the damned things!

Thanks again, peter
  • I'm having the same problem. I click on the Google Chrome Connector button and get some screen advertising the Google chrome store.

I'll have to keep trying I guess.
  • Chrome connector is supplied through the Chrome Web Store for technical reasons. When you see the Chrome Web Store screen, you should also see information about the Zotero Connector. There will be a button at the top right saying something like "Add to Chrome". Click it and you should be set.
  • Thank you aurimas,

I have clicked it and am invited to chose gmail or Google +. At this point the Zotero icon is not on my desktop, nor is Zotero in the list of programs installed. The last time I installed Zotero it was a lot easier.

The 'store' actually doesn't seem to download the connector - how can you tell if it is connected?
  • I think you're clicking on the "share" button, which is immediately to the right of the "Add to Chrome" button. Click the actual text that says "Add to Chrome"
  • Err. Sorry. It will probably say something like "+ Free" instead of "Add to Chrome"
  • At this point the Zotero icon is not on my desktop, nor is Zotero in the list of programs installed. The last time I installed Zotero it was a lot easier.
    Umm. The Chrome connector will not install anything on your desktop. You are probably thinking of Zotero Standalone. See the big red button on the right here: https://www.zotero.org/download/
  • Hi, I am in China. Since this June the Google has been blocked by Chinese government. Therefore we can not connect to Chrome store.

In this situation, how can I install the connector for Chrome?
  • I don't think you can, I'm sorry. Since that also affects (all) other Chrome add-ons, I suggest you switch to another browser, probably Firefox.
  • Well, technically, you could have someone who has access to the Chrome Web Store save the extension and send you the file. You should then be able to drag-and-drop that extension into your Chrome extension list (at chrome://extensions). If that doesn't work, you can also install it in developer mode (there's a checkbox at the top of that page). In either case, the extension will not auto-update.
  • Hi I have installed the connector, and I see it in my extensions but I don't see it on my tool bar (nor do I understand how I manage to use the connector. Will be more than happy to receive explanations and or links for them, cause I am totally lost here. Thanx
  • Do you see the URL bar icon here?

For further troubleshooting, please see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_address_bar_icon and start a new thread.