Newspaper complete date in Chicago author-date format: how to?

Howdy,

I am currently trying to find a way to cite newspaper according to the 15th Edition of the Chicago Style manual, which recommends citing the issue and complete date in the text, using author-date format, without any further need for the in-text newspaper reference to be in the bibliography.

Therefore, something in the published in the New York Times today may appear in the text as:

(New York Times 15 May 2013)

Without any need to have

New York Times, 2013. "Article's Title", 15 may.

In the bibliography.

Is there a simple way to do so, by editing the .csl of the Chicago author-date? So far I figured there would be two things to do:

1) Create an exception in the cs: category author-date format for the article-newspaper type;
2) Create an exception in the cs:bibliography as well. Or, manually delete once the bibliography is genereted. This would prove problematic though, as if I insert another reference the bibliography will self-update and include again these newspaper reference I had erased.

Is this possible at all? I haven't found anything that would do the job in the Style Repository so far.

Thank you for your help,

Best
  • It's not possible to automatically remove items - e.g. of a certain item type - from the bibliography, though you could sort them last, which would make it easy to delete them at the end.
    http://blogs.eui.eu/zotero/sort-a-bibliography-by-type.html

Generally it might be easiest, though, to just type references that you don't want in the bibliography manually.