Open File - Security Warning

Triggered by dragging a file into Zotero, and needs to be dismissed twice. For every pdf. Triggered also by an attempt to fetch meta-data for a pdf.

This behaviour is new, reproducible and consistent.

-----
Open File - Security Warning
The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?
Name: ...\zotero\pdfinfo-Wind32.exe
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
Type: Application

[Run] [Cancel]

This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. You should only run software from publishers you trust.
How can I decide what software to run?
-----

Task bar shows Zotero icon in main program and dialog box.

ps to fbennett: That crack was a line from Star Trek, meant to be funny, clearly not appreciated, sorry.
http://tos.trekcore.com/audiocaps/2x21/2x21-tos-23.mp3 at t = 22 s.
  • edited May 14, 2013
    Here's one old thread that mentions this:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8084/pdfinfo-and-pdftotext-security-warnings/

Do you have your Zotero data directory on a network drive? Er, sorry, no, apparently this isn't on a network drive, judging from your error message.

I'm don't think any Zotero code has changed in years that would affect this, but you can try deleting the pdfinfo/pdftotext files from your Zotero data directory, restarting Zotero, and reinstalling the PDF tools from Search pane of the Zotero preferences.

If that doesn't help, I guess we can sign the PDF tools...
  • Tried your suggestion, no luck I'm afraid. But, I must confess Zotero is running out of Dropbox; judging from your struck out comment that may be the problem.
  • You absolutely shouldn't have the Zotero data directory in Dropbox. It can cause all sorts of problems, including database corruption.
  • edited June 18, 2013
    OK. That's awkward for sharing between my two machines but infinitely less so than two cavilling "unknown publisher" dialog boxes for each and every pdf (they have magically vanished along with the data directory from Dropbox). Thanks for your help.
  • You're already using Zotero sync, so why would you need Dropbox to share between two machines?
  • Oh joy, a new problem! Having moved my data directory out of Dropbox, the thousands of pdfs I've put in are suddenly not found.

Is there an incantation to fix this? I am not moving my pdfs out of Dropbox.
  • you can try symlinking
    https://zotpad.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/103395-what-is-a-symbolic-link-and-why-should-i-use-one-w
  • The location of the data directory shouldn't have any effect on linked files, though, so I'm not clear on what the issue is. What are you saying you're not moving? The 'storage' directory within the Zotero data directory, or something else?
  • edited June 18, 2013
    (If you are just referring to the 'storage' directory—and you moved just the Zotero database but left 'storage' behind—then yes, you can follow adamsmith's instructions. But then, just to be clear, you didn't actually move your entire data directory out of Dropbox.)
  • Zotpad?

Let's go back to "Don't use dropbox." I am using Dropbox. There are gigabytes of files in Dropbox/zotero/storage. Can I configure Zotero so that those files can remain there without causing "all sorts of problems?"
  • did you actually read the link I posted? It's by the ZotPad developer, but it applies beyond Zotpad.
  • Yes I did. It didn't work.
  • Other than using symlinks, no, there is no way to keep your zotero/storage directory in Dropbox. Symlinks do work, though, if they don't you're likely doing something wrong.

You can also likely use ZotFile to auto-move all your PDFs to Dropbox and link to them.

Both of these solutions are used by a good number of users, so they work and they're not prohibitively difficult to implement, but you'll have to put in most of the work of reading up on them and figure out what you want to do locally, since both rely on tools beyond Zotero (your OS's symlink feature, Dropbox, Zotfile, etc.). If you want an easy, one-click solution, use Zotero File Sync.
  • If symlinks work, tell me what to type, and I will try it.
  • as I say
    but you'll have to put in most of the work of reading up on them and figure out what you want to do locally, since both rely on tools beyond Zotero (your OS's symlink feature, Dropbox, Zotfile, etc.). If you want an easy, one-click solution, use Zotero File Sync.
  • A thousand pardons for wasting your valuable time. Thanks so much.
  • Post by: susannary
    There is a chance for you. No guarantee, but a chance.And this chance has come to be, because there is nothing static with free people.
    This arrived by e-mail but appears to have since been struck from the record.

Your full meaning is unclear to me, susannary, but I agree with the first bit. I had an epiphany on Friday and cursed myself for being an insolent jerk in this thread. I was supremely frustrated the program had essentially become useless, but that's no excuse. I apologize to everyone for my bad attitude and unhelpful remarks.

I've no idea why, or for how long it might last, but after abandoning Dropbox, promoting myself to an administrator, turning off every security setting I can uncover, setting some arcane registry keys as per various webpages which confront this trial, and reinstalling the two pdf exe files (for at least the third time), the messages have stopped. For now.
  • (the forum unfortunately receives some spam posts. While they are deleted quickly, you do receive notifications when subscribed to a thread. That's what happened here.)

Otherwise, glad you have found a set-up that works for you!