zotfile: pdf annotation inside firefox

I find it great that it is possible with zotfile ad-on to transfer annotation form pdfs to zotero.

Now I am trying to find a way to do this with the pdf in firefox. others have posted on the subject. My problem is however that I run ubuntu and cannot get it to work. I have tried to run pdf-xhange through wine (Anon. n.d. “Finally, real PDF annotating under Linux! (with help from Wine) | gnurou.org.” Retrieved May 8, 2013 (http://www.gnurou.org/blog/2008/09/09/finally_real_pdf_annotating_under_linux). ) as suggested in this forum. the problem is to get it to run in firefox.

any advice?
  • there is no way I'm aware of to get a browser plug-in to annotate PDFs under Linux.
  • Well why not? Has this changed at all in the last two years?
  • because it appears that writing annotation support for PDFs is surprisingly hard and not a priority on linux for any of the providers of proprietary pdf readers (FoxIt, Adobe Acrobat). Things have slightly improved under linux in general with evince now supporting at least notes (though not highlighting) and Okular being able to write annotations into the file, but overall they're still pretty abysmal.

But this is also not a Zotero question, really. Zotero most certainly isn't going to be in the business of writing PDF software of any kind.