MLZ: Error when inserting/updating citation in Word & does not stop syncing

Hello,

since today I get the following error:

Error ID: 930215806

Zotero experienced an error updating your document
this.base.givens[this.gnameset]is undefined

The error seems to appear mainly when trying to cite a specific book into Word or updating a citation relating to this book. Maybe the error is connected with a syncing problem? Because Zotero does not stop syncing. Copying all into another document does not help.

I use Zotero MLZ and MLZ American Law style.

Thank you for your help.
  • (please edit your post to put [MLZ] in the title so that Frank Bennett sees this right away)
  • Ok, done.

Also now this syncing error occured:
    Error ID 872942199

I think the above reported error has to do with this syncing error, because only citations to books included into zotero today or where I changed the data on zotero today do not work. Already twice today Zotero asked me to choose which of several versions of an item I want to keep to overcome syncing errors.
  • [JavaScript Error: "too much recursion" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2308}]
    [JavaScript Error: "too much recursion" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2308}]
    [JavaScript Error: "this.base.givens[this.gnameset] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 13537}]
    [JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing.

Click the sync icon to resolve them."]"
  • Maybe the error somehow has to do with the fact that I want to cite a book without an author but only an editor (it's a compilation of laws and translations of laws). Because if I change "editor" to "author" or enter the editor both as "editor" and as "author", the citation seems to work.

Is this possible?
  • this is definitely a bug in MLZ - edited volumes are no problem, though this is going to be helpful info for Frank to figure out what's going on specifically. He'll likely have follow-up questions once he wakes up (it's 3AM in Japan)
  • edited May 2, 2013
    Foolslena: The error looks ugly, but it will be fixed.

The sync error and the citation issue are probably unrelated. Let's deal with the citation first. In the meantime, you can turn off automatic syncing.

I'll need to reproduce the bug here to track it down. In the center panel of MLZ, select the item for the bad reference used in your document. The processor must be trying to distinguish two or more entries when the failure happens, so if there are other items with the same title used in your document, select those as well.

After selecting the items, right-click and choose "Export Items ...", and pick "CSL JSON" as the export format. Save to a file, open the file with a text editor, and post the content to http://gist.github.com Save it as a "Public Gist", and post the URL back here.

Once I am able to reproduce the error here, a fix should follow in short order. Needless to say, and I am very curious about the cause.
  • Also, it would be good to know your MLZ version. You can check with with gear menu -> About Zotero, or by visiting Tools -> Addons -> Extensions in Firefox.
  • MLZ version 4.0m354

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5507838

This is the item creating an error when citing / updating the citation in Word. If I change editor to author or add an author, citation is possible without an error.

Thank you very much for your help!
  • No this error occurred:

Creator key not set for item in Zotero.Sync.Server.sync()
  • For now I will just name the editor also as author to be able to continue my work without errors occurring. Let me knwo, once you have a clue how to fix this. Kind regards.
  • edited May 3, 2013
    Two further questions:

* What style are you getting this error with?

* Do you get this error when that item is entered by itself in a single document? If not, are there other items in your document that have the same title?

The reason for the questions is that the error is triggered when the processor attempts to add a givenname to the subsequent form of the item, in order to distinguish two otherwise-identical items. In the style I've used for testing (MLZ American Law Style), the editor name does not show up at all in the subsequent form of a book item, so there is no givenname to add (and that part of the processor code is not touched).

(The sync error is not related to the document formatting problems. If you disable automatic sync, you should be able to avoid that error for the present. We'll look at that one next.)

(PS: Thanks for the version info. You're all up to date, so we can cross that off the list of possible problems.)
  • One question concerning that sync error, just to confirm. (The answer is probably "no", but I need to check.) You don't have your Zotero database in Dropbox do you?
  • Dear Frank Bennet,

no not in dropbox. I am using MLZ American Style. There is only one item with this name, a book with the Title: "International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration" and another Item which is a Book Section of same book with the Title: "National Report for the United States of America (2005" and Book Title: "International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration".

There is another item with the title "International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration: National Reports and Basic Legal Texts" but I don't think that this would create the trouble as the title isn't the same.
  • The second item "International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration: National Reports and Basic Legal Texts" is basicly the same book causing the trouble, only that it is an older edition (looseleaf supplement) of it. Would it help to delete it?
  • How do you properly enter into Zotero MLZ a book in looseleaf service, of which you want to cite (several times) the latest update, but also an older version?

A problem is also, that the editors changed between the versions I want to cite. As it seems, it is problematic to create two items with the same title, as the word plug in cannot differentiate between them (despite the different editors).
  • Thanks for the information about the style and the document context. I think I have a handle on the problem now. To follow up, I will prepare a small diagnostic plugin for the issue I have in mind, and send it to you privately. If the cause is what I think it is, the document and the sync issues would, in fact, be related.

(There is a way to handle looseleaf updates. For the present, just use the same item, and make a note of the difference in your document. We can fix it up later, after we have this other item sorted out.)