Safari plugin "offline"

I just downloaded the Safari browser extension. It installed fine, but the icon in my toolbar is greyed out and when I hover over it it says "Zotero is offline". I can't figure out how to make it go online. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Did you install Zotero Standalone, and is it running?
  • It seems that I need to open Zotero before I open Safari to make it work. A little annoying, but I can deal. Thanks!
  • So glad I found this comment! I think it should be made clear on a prominent front page that you need to open Zotero first and then re-open Safari!
  • I had the same problem, having just last night downloaded and kind of got a handle on collecting citations from my browser. Fired it all up this morning and got the "Zotero Offline" hover message. I was about to start panicking... Very simple solution! Open Zotero first, then Open Safari. Much time and mental health saved. Thanks, amlien.
  • It depends on what you are trying to put into Zotero from Safari. I find that if I try to put in a pdf from Safari it doesn't work. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether Zotero is open.
  • jwilentz: That's a separate issue from this thread, which is about Zotero showing as "Offline". You're just describing how translators work.
  • Another point that stumped me for a while is that Safari will show the extension as "Offline" if you are using Zotero Standalone and there is another browser running on your Mac (like Firefox for example) with the Zotero plug-in running there also. What I did was (1) Quit Zotero Standalone, (2) uninstalled the Safari Zotero extension (Safari > Preferences > Extensions), (3) Quit Firefox, (4) Restarted Zotero Standalone app, (5) Restarted Firefox, (6) Restarted Safari. Since I use multiple browsers at the same time for various tasks and sites, this issue got me after I installed the Zotero extension into both running at once. Hope this helps someone else out.
  • edited March 25, 2017
    @trappster: There shouldn't be any connection between the online status in Safari and having other browsers running. I think the displayed online status is just a little buggy in the current Safari extension. We have a new version coming soon.
  • Thank you dstillman! I really appreciate this amazing thing you have created for all of us to use! Aloha!
  • I downloaded Zotero Standalone with the Safari browser extension. It installed fine, i worked fine when i used it the first day, nothing out of order, but now the icon in my toolbar is grey and it says "Zotero is offline" in one page (Apple Support) and functioning properly in another (this Forum). I can't make it go online. Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you!