New Tag Access UI

I just installed the new update, and have a comment on the new tag access UI.

Given that you had a nice clean search bar at the top of the table that includes tags in the queries--as well as folders and saved queries--why do you need to add a new UI to achieve the same thing effectively?

If you really want to include this, I'd like a preference option to turn it off.
  • You've probably already discovered this by now, but you can show/hide the tag selector by clicking the tags icon (just left of the gear).
  • edited January 13, 2007
    A tag browser was a common feature request.

The tag selector provides a lot of functionality that the search bar doesn't provide, including the ability to view all tags in the currently visible items, quickly filter by tags without having to remember and type them in (or see all sorts of undesired results from where the search term shows up elsewhere), quickly assign tags to multiple items by dragging the items over a tag, rename and delete tags globally across all items, etc.

It currently performs an ALL search, but a future version will likely include the option for an ANY search as well.

As Sean noted, you can easily close it if you're not interested in the added functionality (though there are a couple bugs in Beta 3 that crop up when the tag selector is closed).
  • OK, makes sense.

I guess I would have been less confused if the default view was hidden, since it seems to me the primary use case is more infrequent and specialized functionality.

But given that I can easily show and hide, no big deal.
  • I have a question about the tag selector (2.0b6.4): it appears that the tag layout in the selector does not adjust to match the current width of its pane. Does it sit on a field of fixed width? I can't seem to see some of my tags whatever I do. I see it scrolls vertically, but there doesn't appear to be a way to scroll sideways beyond a few pixels. Am I missing something? If not, a purely vertical list of tags would be a nice option to have. Thank you.