Can't import or export

When I select either the import or export functions, nothing happens...here's the error message that firefox logs for it:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "" nsresult: "0x804b000a (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js :: anonymous :: line 582" data: no]

Any ideas?
  • Sorry for the trouble, shelbaroo. We'll look into it, and thanks for the specific info (always helpful to include such things).
  • I had this problem as well, and I fixed it by completely reinstalling Firefox.

I first copied the Zotero folder (and wrote down the extensions I wanted to reinstall), then uninstalled Firefox, deleted the Mozilla folder in Application Data, and deleted the Mozilla folders in Programs. I put the Zotero folder back when I was done, and all my info was still there.

Firefox seems to be running faster now and is less buggy in general.
  • Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I reinstalled Firefox as "Karindalziel" suggested, but the import/export (no bibliography either) problem keeps bugging. I guess that fixing it would help a lot of people using this wonderful extension.
  • I reinstalled and DID solve the problem.
  • This looks like a great idea. I have been working with Zotero for a couple of days. I have had no success with exports or creation of bibliography from selected item. I am using a French language version of Firefox 2 and get a window with this message:
    " Alerte An error generating your bibiography. Please try again."
    I've tried in all three formats. The export Progress window freezes open.
  • edited October 15, 2006
    I have the same problem as shelbaroo (same error message) and re-installing didn't help. Some additional info:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061003 Firefox/2.0

Theme: Littlefox 1.7
    Extensions: AdblockPlus, Greasemonkey, SwitchProxyTool, Nightly Tester Tools, Linkification, googlebar, google notebook, forecastfox, del.icio.us, bugmenot

Hope you can help. Cheers,
    Harald.

Edit: Disabling all extensions except Zotero and switching to the default theme didn't help either.

Edit 2: Creating a new profile solved the problem.
  • We've fixed this in the code (we believe, though we're unable to reproduce it ourselves), and we'll be pushing a new bug fix revision in the next day or two that should fix this and a few other things.

(The problem does seem to be in the translate.js line above.)
  • edited October 17, 2006
    Hello,

I have the same bug:

when I try to export or import (same error):

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "" nsresult: "0x804b000a (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js :: anonymous :: line 582" data: no]

I am using Firefox RC3 (17 Oct) - looking forward to your code fix.

Regards,
    Peter
  • Hi,

have any ideas surfaced yet as to what is the problem?
    It's still not working, and no updates for Zotero :-(

Line 582 where this happens (uncaught exception) is this:

this._sandbox = new Components.utils.Sandbox("");

Thoughts, anyone?
  • This should be fixed in 1.0.0b2.r2, along with various other bugs that could cause import/export not to work. Let us know if you continue to have problems.
  • Hoooorrrayy, thanks a lot, it's working now, I have been so looking
    forward to testing Zotero and now I can :-))

Great work!
    Peter
  • Hi all,
    I too can't import. From the Zotero homepage I got 1.0.0b2.r1. Can you tell me where I can find 1.0.0b2.r2, or is this build forthcoming?
    Thank you,
    Jennifer
  • edited October 25, 2006
    r2 is the build currently linked from the Download button on the home page (as of late last night). You can either download it again from there and install over the old version or go to Tools->Add-ons and click Find Updates. Firefox will also prompt existing users to update automatically within a day or so, assuming the pref to automatically check for updates to extensions is enabled.
  • edited October 25, 2006
    I mentioned this on another thread, but it's worth repeating here:

Extensions on addons.mozilla.org need to be approved by their site admins and therefore will tend to run a few days behind the actual releases, so if you're running a version of Zotero from there you may want to grab the version from our home page instead. Once you do so, you're on our upgrade track and should see releases within a day of when we release them.
  • Hmmm... I'm going to Firefox Tools > Add-ons, clicking "find updates." It tells me that 1.0.0b2.r2 is available. I click "Install updates," it does it's thing, then tells me "Zotero 1.0.0b2.r1 Restart to complete the installation." When I restart I've stoll got the r1 version, not r2.

I've also tried deleting Zotero folders/files from my hard drive, downloading again from the download button on Zotero home page, but only get r1.
    Frustrating.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.
  • Hmm, perhaps the old version is still in the browser cache... I just renamed the XPI linked from the home page, which may help--give it a try again and see if it comes up as r2.
  • That did the trick! Now I've got r2 and I'm able to import libraries. Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to running the software through its paces. (FYI - I'm a librarian and interested in comparing Endnote, Refworks, and Zotero and sharing my findings with my colleagues and clients. I find certain shortcomings in the two former that irk me and am hoping Zotero suits my needs).
    Again, many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.