PDFs missing

Hi,
I have created a library some time ago with many PDFs attached to many of the entries. Recently the library has essentially become useless, because all of the PDF's in that library are now unable to be located. I have a large group of libraries and this is the only one that it has happened to. Also, I have been able to successfully locate the files elsewhere on my computer. If there is a way to group insert them back into the program would be best if not having to manually scrounge for each document, and place it in its exact location.
  • This wouldn't be something that Zotero would have done itself, but if you provide a Debug ID for a file-opening attempt I can tell you where it's looking for the files.
  • File not file = dialogue box
    "The attached file could not be found.
    It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero."
    Options: Locate Cancel

Zotero Error Repot ==>
    SessionStartup: _ensureInitialized: [object Object]

SessionStartup: _ensureInitialized: null

SessionStartup: _ensureInitialized: null

[JavaScript Error: "Image corrupt or truncated: "]
  • Sorry that should have been the "File Not Found" dialogue box.

The error was submitted as number: 1723007574
  • follow Dan's link - he'll need a Debug ID for a file opening attempt, not an error report ID.
  • Sorry.... The Debug ID is D538880723
  • That Debug ID does not appear to cover the file-opening attempt. Read the instructions again.
  • NEWLY RECORDED: The Debug ID is D1575952560.
  • C:\Users\[...]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bgx0jig1.default\zotero\storage\VPTX54U8\[...].pdf
    The PDF file in that directory (or the directory itself) doesn't exist, I assume?

Did you add the files on this computer or another computer that you synced? If the latter, see Files Not Syncing.
  • Off of this computer. I uploaded these files and then deleted the dir b/c I thought the were in Z (ie that I could visually inspect the lib and they were there; however, I am guessing that they still needed more time and the visual inspection was only of stubbs without content? If I put the dir back in its place (provided I can find it again) will that reset the syncing process...? Or is this hypothesis total hooey?
    THANKS!!!!
  • wait - you deleted the storage directory? Or directories in it? Don't ever tough anything in the zotero folder unless you _really_ know what you're doing.

If you can restore the folder then yes, that should also get the files to sync. If it doesn't you can follow Dan's instructions.