reimporting exported references

Hello,
Due to problems with double copies of my dabase I have had to export the last references included in one file. When I try to reimport these references in my original file it just gets blocked and does not import the files, only generates one empty collection... I appreciate input on this problem cause looks like retrieving information and exporting does not work fine.. or surely I can't find the right way to do it.
  • we need more information to be able to say anything. Which format did you use to export? What do you mean by import getting blocked? Does it end abruptly or does it get stuck on the progress bar and you have to restart? Are you using Zotero Standalone or the Firefox plugin? What version? What browser version if Firefox? What OS?
  • I exported RDF format including notes and files.
    It gets stuck in a window showing progress around the 70-odd %
    I'm using zotero with firefox plugin version 4.0.5
    Firefox version 20.0.1
    Windows 7
    Sorry for the initial lack of information, hope this helps
  • I've created a debug of the error just in case it helps. It's uploaded to Zotero server with ID D1037566887
  • Dan, Simon, it's there anything in that Debug log?
  • That appears to just be debug output of Zotero startup. I'm not seeing any import attempt in there.
  • Thanks Dan. I figured that's what it would be.

@francisco.velasco, we'd need the real-time debug output for your case. The page talks about Windows XP, but it also works the same on Windows 7. Paste this into a text file.

It would also be helpful to get the RDF file (without the file attachments)

Since both the debug output and the RDF may have some private information (i.e. notes) and could be quite large, you might not want to make them publicly accessible (but if you don't care, then you can paste both on gist.github.com) Dan, do you mind if those are emailed to support@zotero.org ?
  • Dan, do you mind if those are emailed to support@zotero.org ?
    That's fine. They should just include a link to this thread.
  • Hello again,
    I've resubmitted a new debug output that seems to be longer by the size of the debug. I will also email the rdf file that I try to re-import, with only a few references and without the attached files.
    The new debug reference is: D495033227
    I will use this same reference for the rdf file email.
    Thanks a lot!
  • edited April 17, 2013
    @francisco.velasco

That RDF file imported correctly for me. Can you confirm that placing that RDF file in a directory of its own (without the attachment files) and attempting to import it causes Zotero to get stuck?

The debug output you sent does not appear to be the real-time debug output that I linked to above. It just appears to be the debug log from Zotero itself, not the console. Could you try again (but see the comment below first)? If something is not clear, here's a screenshot for reference: http://i.imgur.com/oHpjm87.png (Edit: you can email the log directly to me at aurimas.dev@gmail.com or to zotero support as before)

From your debug log, there seems to be something irregular going on with your translators

[JavaScript Error: "Translator with ID 47533cd7-ccaa-47a7-81bb-71c45e68a74d already loaded from "Bibliotheque nationale de France.js"" {file: "file:///********/translators/Biblioth%C3%A8que%20nationale%20de%20France.js" line: 0}]

This particular error should not affect RDF import, but just in case there are other issues with your translators, can you reset your translators? (If you have any custom translators, those will be deleted, so make sure to make backups first!) Go to Zotero Preferences... -> Advanced -> Files and Folders -> Reset Translators... and then go to Preferences... -> General -> Update Now. Restart Zotero and try the import again.
  • Thanks once again. I've done as you've asked, and finally understood what you meant by the zotero debug console. I've made to different debug files, first with the translators as they were before restarting them, and the second just after resetting them. I'll sent them to zotero support as asked.
    And yes, I confirm that both times I've tried to import only the rdf file without the attachments, not sure if I tried to import the whole folder the previous times, but the result is been the same...
    Best and thxs,
    F.
  • edited April 18, 2013
    Could you try with all your other addons in Firefox disabled?

Edit: also try with the tag pane (bottom left corner of Zotero window) minimized
  • Done, with all the other addons disabled except the java console, and Zotero itself of course. The result is still the same. Might it be due to the location of the files on a external disk and the files that I'm trying to reimport are in the hard disk?...
    Regarding the tag pane Dan already told me that it slowed a lot zotero, and have to do it cause I got a lot of tags to re-edit and clean... that takes a lot of time, specially when I do it with the tags pane open. Sent again to zotero@support.org.
    Best & thxs,
    F.
  • Might it be due to the location of the files on a external disk and the files that I'm trying to reimport are in the hard disk?...
    I'm not sure that I follow. What files are on the external disk? And which files are you referring to on the internal disk? I don't think it should have anything to do with the location of attachments, since you said that if you place the RDF file in a directory all by itself, without the attachment files, then you are still experiencing the issue. Is your Firefox and/or Zotero installation in any way unusual? Is the zotero data directory on an external disk?

We have seen the issue in your debug log before, but I thought that it has been fixed, since I can no longer reproduce it myself. It may be a similar issue coming from a different part of code though. For reference, the issue I am referring to is https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/230 (I posted details of your debug log in the last comment)

I hope that Simon has some ideas how to either replicate this issue locally so we can debug it or how to have you help us debug it. As it stands now, I'm not sure how to proceed.
  • My zotero data are on a external disk, while the ones I'm trying to re-import are on the hard-drive. I know it's complicated, but have had several problems with importing data from a different program, and also a problem with my laptop, so had to move the data from one folder to the other and whenever I try to get it back to the firefox default folder looses all the links to the pdf files that are in the external disk. I'll take a look at your issue you mention.
    Thxs
    (zotero debug report has been done now to support@zotero.org).
  • Can you try creating a fresh Firefox profile on the internal disk (it should go there by default, but I'm not sure with your setup. you will have an option to choose the location when you create the profile). then install Zotero from Zotero.org and try importing the RDF file.

you don't need to send us more logs. just let us know if it works or not.
  • It works with a fresh new and empty profile, got the files with the tags and details correct. If I try to import after having loaded all the references in my old profile, it does not work no matter where it is.....
    Thx a lot for all the work. Still have to figure out how to deal with this external/hard disc folder issue, but looks like when I've reloaded the full database onto the hard disk it still recognizes that files are on the external disk... not easy to do backups but at least easier to handle.
    Best.
    F.
  • I'll see if I can reproduce this with an external drive.
    If I try to import after having loaded all the references in my old profile, it does not work no matter where it is.....
    What do you mean by this? Did you export all the references from your old profile (via RDF), created a new profile and imported the RDF file? Then you tried to import some additional references via RDF and it would fail again?
    Still have to figure out how to deal with this external/hard disc folder issue, but looks like when I've reloaded the full database onto the hard disk it still recognizes that files are on the external disk...
    Please start a new thread for this and provide some more detail. Specifically, please explain the structure of your Firefox/Zotero installation as it is now (paths to folders would be helpful); tell us what exactly you are doing to "reload the full database onto the hard disk" and how you determined that "it still recognizes that files are on the external disk". Does it say that it cannot locate file when you try to open an attachment?