Formatting chapter author and book author

Hi, this is probably due to my incompetence, rather than a problem with Zotero per se, but I'm having problems creating references with cite both a book section and the book's author(s).

I assume that the entry needs to be a 'Book Section', with the author of the chapter entered under >Author, and the authors of the book under >Book Author. I have done this, but it only displays the section author, e.g.:Malinowski, Bronislaw, ‘The Problem of Meaning in Primitive Languages’, in The meaning of meaning; a study of the influence of language upon thought and of the science of symbolism, (London; New York: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co.; Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1923), pp. 451 – 510.

In this instance, the book authors are C.K Ogden and I. A. Richards, but they have been omitted from the reference. Is it likely to be the way in which I have entered this information, or has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • The authors of the chapter should be entered as authors but the _editors_ of the book should be entered not as authors but as editors.

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/edited_volumes_and_book_chapters
  • Hi, the problem in this instance is that Ogden and Richards are recorded as the authors of the book, not the editors - a supplementary essay was supplied by Malinowski. Ideally, the entry should read: Malinowski, Bronislaw, ‘The Problem of Meaning in Primitive Languages’, in The meaning of meaning; a study of the influence of language upon thought and of the science of symbolism, C. K. Ogden and I. A. Richards (London; New York: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co.; Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1923), pp. 451 – 510.

Is there a way of including the author of a chapter/essay within a book, AND the book's authors?
  • edited April 15, 2013
    The form of the citation you included suggests that Malinowski's essay was in the original version (1923) of the book. I believe that the essay was in a later printing of a book that was _compiled/edited_ by someone else. Thus, this is even more complicated.

In further investigation I see that the 1923 book was indeed edited by Ogden and Richards. The book includes O and R's authored part. It also includes Malinowski's essay. I believe that O&R should be listed as the book's editors -- that they also were authors of essential parts of the book isn't important to the Malinowski reference.

Thus,
    Malinowski, B. (1923) "The Problem of Meaning in Primitive Languages”, in: Charles K. Ogden / Ian A. Richards (eds.), The Meaning of Meaning, 146-152, London: Publisher
  • which citation style?
  • @adamsmith I think that the style isn't as important here as is the way the contributors of the book were envisioned. Please see my edited comments. The Routledge version of the book lists O&R as editors. That O&R are remembered as authors of a section of the book is not important here.
  • Yes, if they were editors they should be listed and cited as such and all citation styles are going to do this right.
    That said, it should be possible to cite book authors - especially in note styles as the one above - and if that's not working in a style I want to know, even if it's not relevant for the example at hand.
  • Hi, thanks for all your input. The style of referencing I am using is MHRA - DWL-SDCA, thanks for looking into this for me. @Adamsmith, I echo what you say with regard to citing book authors.
  • book authors will now appear (as ", by XY") for MHRA:
    The style is now up. It will appear on the style repository within 30mins.. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)
    Any further problems please let us know.

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+