Child Note without name

I have several child notes, it would be nice to see names on the notes indicating contents. Now there is no name, just the icon.
Using Zoter0 4.0.4
  • Zotero should display the first line of text (or the first x number of characters) as a title.
    Could you take a screenshot that shows both the text of a note in the right panel and the middle panel (where it's missing the title according to you) upload it to a free image hosting site like imgur.com and provide the link here?
  • I have encountered the same problem, but haven't gotten around to researching it yet.

I noticed it when I had cut and then pasted info into a note. It didn't not show up as the name.

Creating a note and typing it did. It was weird. I'll try and see if I can reproduce it. And provide screen shots.
  • In that case it would also be helpful to paste the note content in html mode (there's a small "HTML" icon next to the eraser in the rich text formatting bar) here.
  • I just tried to reproduce it, and can't.

I can't remember exactly what I was doing. I know I pasted a note and it didn't show up.

I think I also selected text from a webpage and clicked Create Zotero Item and Note from Selection.

But I can't reproduce any of that now. Sorry.

It it happens again, I'll report back.

(I'm not even certain what version I was using...probably 4.x but not sure.)
  • edited April 13, 2013
    If the note begins with a <_blockquote_> it doesn't show up in the center pane.

I can toggle the quote icon and the first line appears and disappears.

Let me know if you still need screenshot or the html.

Edit so that blockquote doesn't blockquote! :)
  • no, I can replicate that, no need for more.
  • @Beckengel - I can't see the note on the right - does it start with a quote?
  • The note on the right is a Heading, no quote.
    Changing to normal text , still wll not make any difference
  • If the note begins with a <_blockquote_> it doesn't show up in the center pane.
    I can't reproduce this. This note works fine for me, displaying "Test" as the title in the middle pane:

<blockquote>Test</blockquote>
    <p>Foo</p>

Be aware when testing this that currently the middle pane isn't updated when you exit HTML view. You have to make another change to the note in the normal view or click away from the note.
  • Beckengel: Click the HTML button on one of the notes and copy the first few lines, pasting them between <code>&lt/code> tags here in HTML mode.
  • I don't understand what the HTML mode is for and why this complication.
    It does not work with your suggestion either.
    As you can see I have many issues with Zotero and most have not been solved
  • Dan:
    your example works for me, but try:
    <blockquote>
    <p>Test</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Foo</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

which is what the rich text editor produces. (the last two lines aren't necessary, I just included them so the tests are otherwise equivalent).

@Beckengel - if you would like to help troubleshoot the problem you're experiencing, please provide the output requested by Dan. Otherwise, please go way.
  • OK, now stripping the first line if there's just an opening HTML tag, as in adamsmith's example, though you'll need to edit affected notes to correct them. This is available in the latest 4.0 Branch dev XPI and will be in 4.0.5.

The alternative would be trimming all opening whitespace, but if you purposely add an empty paragraph at the top of the note, I'm not sure there should be a title. (There is, however, a title if you just add a line break, because that's encoded as "<p><br />Foo</p>", and nsIDOMParser.parseFromString(), which we use in Zotero.Utilities.unescapeHTML(), appears to strip line breaks.)
  • edited March 17, 2018
    The problem is the html tag < ! - -StartFragment - - > (without the extra spaces) in the html code for the note. If I delete that tag at the start of the html code, then it correctly finds the title. If not, then it is blank.

Just by way of explanation: I have had this problem for a while now (missing title in note), and I just now found out the reason and solution for it. Quick fix: delete the StartFragment tag in each note. Proper fix: fix your parsers.