Style is not valid after upgrading to Zotero 4

Hi there! Long time user, first time writing here. I work at a university library in Iceland and we have students here that are using the Oscola style with Zotero. We've changed it quite a bit from the original one created by Virgilio Afonso da Silva, to better fit our Icelandic needs. It has been working great for us until we started getting problem reports from everyone that the Icelandic citation style was no longer in their Zotero. When they went to add a citation the Document Preference window opens and asks them to select a style and the style is missing from there.

Now when we try to add the style back to Zotero we get a report saying that the style is not valid.

I've tried going back to an older version of Zotero Standalone and there I get the Icelandic Oscola. But it is a hassle trying to get all the students to go back to older versions so that they can continue writing their dissertations and thesis. We would much rather like to have our style valid. Unfortunately here's where my basic understanding of the coding ends. I do not know how to find the error(s) in our style. And I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

I have uploaded the style here: https://gist.github.com/Ragnabjork/5318745

I would really appreciate any help I could get!
Sincerely, Ragna
  • Your style is not valid (even with Zotero 3.0): https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Validation
    (Copy&paste it in the text field of the validator - remove the spaces before the first line which generate an error)
  • yeah I tried that and when I validate it again, it just gives loads of other errors. And I don't always understand what the problem is with every error. It may not have validated before but it still worked and was usable in Zotero 3.0.
  • 1) There can't be more than one <name> in one <contributor> and you should use <uri> to put urls and <email> to put email addresses (that's not an error though)
    <contributor>
    <name>Julian Onions</name>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
    <name>Thora Gylfadottir (Reykjavik University)</name>
    <uri>www.ru.is/thorag</uri>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
    <name>Ragna Bjork Kristjansdottir (Reykjavik University </name>
    <uri>www.ru.is/ragnabjork</uri>
    </contributor>
  • 2) l. 312 <else-if type="webpage post-blog" match="none"> (blog is not a CSL item type)

3-4) l. 313-319: <date variable="issued"> and </date> appear twice.

5) l. 373: should be <else-if variable="issue"> (there's already a if condition 7 lines above)
  • The biggest problem is that there's a space between the start of the file and the preprocessor instruction (<?xml), which makes it invalid XML. If you fix that, Zotero will still warn that it's an invalid CSL file, but it will at least give you the option of installing it.
  • Thank you all so much for the help. I've fixed a lot of errors so far from the validation page but I'm stuck on something at the very end that I can't seem to figure out. I've uploaded the style again with all the fixes: https://gist.github.com/Ragnabjork/5319947

I get an error on line 500 that you can maybe figure out for me. That part there I haven't changed at all from the original Oscola file from Virgilio Afonso da Silva and his Oscola is valid.
  • l. 496: delete -->
  • wow thank you so much! It validates now! Amazing. You saved my sanity and the lives of countless aggravated law students ;-)