problem opening attachment file (esp. pdf file)

I know that this is an issue that is often discussed here, but none of the solutions mentioned in this web site (e.g., editing "defaults.list" file) seem to work for me. So, I decided to ask about it here.

I am using Zotero (4.0.1) in linux (ubuntu 12.04). Both Zotero standalone or Zotero firefox extension (with firefox 19.0.2) have been giving me some problems, as described below. They started to happen while I was using a previous version of Zotero (3.x) but persist with the most up to date version.

(1) In firefox, Zotero handles the "View snapshot" action nicely, opening a snapshot html in a new tab. However, it does not handle "View pdf" nicely for the stored pdf file. It opens a Nautilus file browser, with the pdf file highlighted! I have no problem opening pdf files in other web pages in firefox.

(2) In Zotero standalone, Zotero handles neither "View snapshot" nor "View pdf". It opens a Nautilus file browser, for either case, with the html file or the pdf file highlighted! I have no problem opening pdf or html files in my linux desktop.

Where can I start finding out the source of the problem? Unfortunately, I am not certain since when this problem began to appear, but it is rather annoying. I am willing to insert some debug output lines in a js file to see exactly when something goes wrong, if somebody can give me a guide.

Lastly, this may or may not be related to this issue, but I am seeing the following warning message whenever I run Zotero (firefox extension or standalone). This message gets printed out whenever I highlight a different bibliography item in Zotero.

(firefox:10095): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./gobject/gsignal.c:3393: signal name `selection_changed' is invalid for instance `0x47b28190'.
  • edited July 21, 2013
    Recently I also encountered the same problem. I am using xfce and this problem show up after I set my prefer file manager to nautilus. It seems that the mime type using by zotero is 'x-scheme-handler/file' while opening pdf because when I changed the handler of 'x-scheme-handler/file' to evince, the problem solved and evince opened the pdf file. In xfce, default handler of type 'x-scheme-handler/file' is exo-file-manager.desktop. So the problem may be caused by incompatibily between nautilus and exo-open.

---
    update:
    I change the handler of 'x-scheme-handler/file' to xdg-open and it works fine.