File syncing turned off but links still sync

Apologies if someone has enquired about this already. I can't find mention of it.

I have file syncing turned off (unchecked) as I have a huge number of PDFs and don't want to waste storage space syncing them. However the syncing copies across the attachment info in the database. This means that if I want to store a copy of the PDF on multiple computers I have to

1. attach a stored copy of the PDF on computer A, then sync
2. sync on computer B
3. enable Debug output logging on computer B
4. double click the attachment link in zotero (an error message appears)
5. view the debug output log and find the name of the folder and file it's trying to open
6. create a storage folder with that name and move the pdf to the folder and rename the file to match

Is it possible to just not have zotero sync the attachment links? Or an easier way of storing the file that doesn't cause sync issues, doesn't require cloud storage but still uses the zotero storage folder (I use the auto pdf download facility quite a lot)?

Thanks in advance,
Amanda
  • You can't turn off syncing the file information, no (and in many cases you wouldn't want to).
    What sounds like would work well in your situation is to use Zotfile to automatically move your files to a different folder on autodownload. You can then even use something like dropbox to sync that folder between different computers (or move them manually if you prefer). This will be even easier with the next Zotero version (out in a week) that supports relative links to files.
  • Thanks Adam! I'll give Zotfile a go.