Word plugin - bibliography - book sections - doubling page #s

When I generate a bibliography via the Zotero Word plugin (using Chicago), it is showing the page numbers in book sections twice:

Bryson, Norman. “Boston School.” In Boston School, by Lia Gangitano, Milena Kalinovska, and Institute of Contemporary Art Boston, 19–43, 19–43. Boston, Mass.: Institute of Contemporary Art, 1995.

This is happening for all of my book section entries, which include several different books, and I have scoured them all and cannot figure out how the information is getting duplicated. I can manually remove the doubled page #s, but of course they reappear whenever I refresh my citations, so I'd love a more permanent solution.

Thanks all!
  • which Chicago style exactly? Make sure you have the most recent version of the style be re-installing it from zotero.org/styles and switching to a different style and back in the Document Preferences of the Zotero Word plugin.
  • Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried downloading all of the Chicago styles (in English) just to be on the safe side, restarted Zotero, changed the style in my document, then changed it back, then hit Zotero refresh again just in case, and alas, the problem persists.

Thanks again,
    megan
  • but which style are you actually using?
  • Oh! Sorry, "Chicago Manual of Style (full note)".
  • and you've made sure the duplicate page numbers aren't in your items in Zotero? I can't replicate this. Which version of Zotero are you using? (check under "about Zotero" in the gears menu).
  • I'm looking at my book section items in Zotero, and I only see one field related to page numbers (called "Pages") and I only have one thing entered into them (in the above example, "19-43"). I'm using Zotero version 3.0.14.1.
  • odd. Could you try this in a fresh new document?
    Insert one book section citation in Chicago style, insert bibliography and see if the page numbers are OK there. Also - does this look OK in the footnote, or are they doubled there, too?
  • Ok, I tried this in a new document, and here's the difference I could come up with - it seems to be a setting in the "collection" I'm using. When I inserted a citation to a book section from another random collection in my library, it didn't duplicate the page numbers. When I added another citation from the "problem" collection (the one I'm working with right now), it did duplicate the page numbers. So I tried doubling each one (with a new source from one random collection and a new source from my "problem" collection) and the same result. ...?
  • P.S. When I generate a bibliography from that collection from inside Zotero instead of through the Word plugin, the problem persists.
  • Let's see if there's something peculiar about those items.
    Pick one item from that collection - e.g. the one you cite above - righ-click --> Export Selected item --> Zotero RDF
    Open the exported file with TextEdit and copy it's entire contents and paste them into the window at gist.github.com --> Click "Create public gist" at the bottom of the screen and then provide the URL of the page
    (which will look something like https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4079922 )
  • Done! https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5257527

Also worth noting: I tried copying all of those items into a new collection. Problem is still persisting...Would it also help to note that, in this collection, I've been getting book sections by entering the book, then every time I need to separately cite a chapter (lots of essay collections in this project), duplicating the book, changing it to a book section, and modifying that entry to fit the particular chapter. I don't remember whether or not I used that same procedure with the other collections...
  • great. I can now replicate this. I'll take a closer look and I'll try to narrow it down enough so we can have a fix for Zotero 4.0, due out on April 1/2.
    Sorry for the trouble and thanks for helping to narrow it down. I'll post here once we have a fix.
  • Thanks so much!
  • this actually turned out to be a style error and not a Zotero bug, which was a much easier fix. It's now fixed for all Chicago styles on the repository:
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)
    In an existing document you may - as per above - have to switch to a different style and back for changes to take effect.
  • Thank you very much! Problem solved.

Quick question: to update the styles, I've just been copying the .csl's into the folder where the files themselves are stored and overwriting (with a saved backup, of course). Is there any reason that I should use the procedures described in the above link instead? Could I be messing something up the way I'm doing it?
  • I don't think there is a downside to what you're doing, no (and the style folder is easily restored anyway, so this is low risk in the first place). For general instructions I prefer users not to touch anything in their data folder (except to back it up) but if you know what you're doing that's fine.

The only thing that you should not do is combine the two - i.e. don't install a .csl file that you placed into your /styles folder in any other way.