Translator and import icon issues in Chrome and Firefox

I have a dual problem with translators and import icons in Chrome and Firefox.

First, the translator for jstor doesn't work (http://www.jstor.org/stable/131548)
I access jstor through network connect. When wanting to import via the import icon in the address bar, i get the little notification in the bottom right corner saying it cannot save item. This happens both in Chrome and Firefox.

Second, when I'm on a jstor search result page Zotero only recognizes the articles marked in bold when I click the import folder icon in the address bar (http://www.jstor.org/action/doAdvancedSearch?q0=solomon+criminal+justice&f0=all&c1=AND&q1=&f1=all&acc=on&wc=on&fc=off&re=on&sd=&ed=&la=&pt=&isbn=&dc.History=History&dc.SlavicStudies=Slavic+Studies&Search=Search)

As I said, the problems are the same in Chrome and Firefox. I've tried to update translators, but nothing happened. In one thread (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28509/jstor-tranlator-does-not-work/) you advice to trash the translators and update them - not sure how to do it, though.

I run Mac OS X 10.6.8., Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172, Firefox 19.0.2.

Thanks for your help.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for a save attempt for the first page using Zotero for Firefox?
  • no need for debug - I can replicate both issues, I'll look at it later today.
  • For the http://www.jstor.org/stable/131548 issue - that's not a general JSTOR issue, but is actually related to the other issue: JSTOR doesn't provide a title for the item (it doesn't for most Reviews) - in that case in the RIS - and Zotero fails on import when there is no title. I'll see what we can do about that.
  • Thank you Adam for your quick reply. I have the feeling though, that in the past Zotero could read the reviews even without the title but my memory might play tricks on me.

Just before I received your reply I tried to debug via the console. I don't know if you can use it but this is what came out when trying to import one item from Chrome:
    "zotero(5): POST /connector/getSelectedCollection HTTP/1.1
    Host: 127.0.0.1:23119
    Connection: keep-alive
    Content-Length: 2
    X-Zotero-Version: 3.0.8.1
    Origin: chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc
    X-Zotero-Connector-API-Version: 2
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.172 Safari/537.22
    Content-Type: application/json
    Accept: */*
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
    Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
    Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3

zotero(5): HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
    X-Zotero-Version: 3.0.14.1
    X-Zotero-Connector-API-Version: 2
    Content-Type: text/plain

No endpoint found"

Also one last question of a different sort: I'm using standalone and whenever I open Preferences it literally takes minutes before the window opens.

Thanks for your help.
  • Zotero has always failed on import for items with no title, but it could be that JSTOR changed how Reviews are stored internally - they may have had something - e.g. the word "Review" in the title.
  • I think you're right and guess that solves my questions. Thanks!
  • we'll fix that, though, just have to figure out what's the best way to do that.
  • One other thing is worth mentioning: When I manually attach an item to a reference in Zotero - such as a pdf-copy - Zotero almost always hangs, demanding a restart. Upon restarting, the item has been attached and I can access it through my Zotero library. Do you by any chance know of this problem?
  • please start separate threads for the two other issues - in both cases a debug ID (see Dan's link above) would be helpful - might not be possible for the 2nd issue if Zotero actually hangs.
  • Reviews should now work both in searches and individually:
    Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting