Unable to get PDFs stored on computer into Zotero Standalone

Hello,

I've previously used Mendeley but would like to give Zotero a try. However, I've tried importing the library of PDFs stored on my computer in multiple ways, none of which have worked.

1) I tried importing from Mendeley as a .bib file. Parent files were created but the linked PDFs weren't included. I tried the following based on previous forum discussion:

a) Replacing "file = {:" with "pdf = {" and deleting ":PDF" in the .bib file as recommended here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6527/

b) Deleting ":C$\backslash$:" as recommended here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23775/error-when-trying-to-import-data-to-zotero-bib-or-ris/

None of these worked - Zotero only imported the info for each reference, not the linked PDF file.

2) Importing from Mendeley as .ris didn't get anywhere with Zotero, an error popped up and nothing was imported.

3) I instead tried simply dragging and dropping my collection of PDFs into Zotero. Unfortunately this also didn't work. Sometimes, the Standalone application thinks for a moment and adds a couple PDFs (out of 100+). Sometimes it adds only one. Sometimes it doesn't add any.

I just want to get my PDFs into Zotero - how can I do this?

Thanks.
  • post a sample Mendeley bibtex with PDF link. You don't just want to drag the PDFs into Zotero - that would lose you all the metadata, though it should import all of them.
  • Sample .bib from Mendeley export:

@article{Yamanaka2006,
    abstract = {In insects, steroid hormones named ecdysteroids elicit molting and metamorphosis. The prothoracic gland (PG) is a predominant source of ecdysteroids, where their biosynthesis (ecdysteroidogenesis) is regulated by several neuropeptides. Here, we report that FMRFamide-related peptides (FaRPs) regulate ecdysteroidogenesis through direct innervation of the PG in the silkworm Bombyx mori. We purified a previously uncharacterized Bombyx FaRP, DPSFIRFamide, and identified the corresponding Bombyx FMRFamide gene (Bommo-FMRFamide, BRFa), which encodes three additional FaRPs. All BRFa peptides suppressed ecdysteroidogenesis in the PG by reducing cAMP production by means of the receptor for Bommo-myosuppressin, another FaRP we have previously shown to act as a prothoracicostatic factor. BRFa is predominantly expressed in neurosecretory cells of thoracic ganglia, and the neurons in the prothoracic ganglion innervate the PG to supply all four peptides to the gland surface. Electrophysiological recordings during development confirmed the increased firing activity of BRFa neurons in stages with low PG activity and decreased ecdysteroid levels in the hemolymph. To our knowledge, this study provides the first report of peptides controlling ecdysteroidogenesis by direct innervation.},
    author = {Yamanaka, Naoki and Zitnan, Dusan and Kim, Young-Joon and Adams, Michael E and Hua, Yue-Jin and Suzuki, Yusuke and Suzuki, Minoru and Suzuki, Akemi and Satake, Honoo and Mizoguchi, Akira and Asaoka, Kiyoshi and Tanaka, Yoshiaki and Kataoka, Hiroshi},
    doi = {10.1073/pnas.0511196103},
    file = {:C$\backslash$:/Users/Davis/AppData/Local/Mendeley Ltd./Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/Yamanaka et al. - 2006 - Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.pdf:pdf},
    issn = {0027-8424},
    journal = {Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America},
    keywords = {Amino Acid Sequence,Animals,Bombyx,Bombyx: metabolism,FMRFamide,FMRFamide: chemistry,FMRFamide: genetics,FMRFamide: isolation \& purification,FMRFamide: metabolism,Ganglia,Ganglia: metabolism,Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental,Humans,Insect Hormones,Insect Hormones: biosynthesis,Molecular Sequence Data,Neurons,Neurons: cytology,Neurons: metabolism,RNA, Messenger,RNA, Messenger: genetics,RNA, Messenger: metabolism},
    month = jun,
    number = {23},
    pages = {8622--7},
    pmid = {16707581},
    title = {{Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.}},
    url = {http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1482630\&tool=pmcentrez\&rendertype=abstract},
    volume = {103},
    year = {2006}
    }
  • that's on a Mac, right?
    could you try if this works if you delete
    "C$\backslash$:" entirely? Try with just one entry for testing - that either works or it doesn't.
  • Sorry, I forgot to add - I'm on Windows 7.

I tried deleting "C$\backslash$:" and it still didn't import the linked PDF.
  • I'll have to take a look on Windows -
    or even better yet, maybe I could convince @aurimasv, who actually uses Windows, to do that.
    Might take a little.
  • Do you think it could be related to the length of the Bibtex entry? For example the abstract being too long?
  • no, definitely not - this is a problem with Windows filepaths - both their use of backslashes and of colons.
    I think Zotero can handle them when they're in the right format (which they're definitely not coming from Mendeley), but someone has to look at that in Windows.
  • so we should fix this on import (which fails for Windows filepaths containing a colon) , but the easiest way for you right now is to take advantag of the fact that Zotero understands relative files on bibtex import.

Here's how: place the bibtex output file into a folder that's a parent of Mendeley's PDF storage folder. It looks like "Mendeley Desktop" would be a good candidate above.

Then cut off the entire filepath up to and including that folder in the file (obviously you can do that via search and replace). The filepaths line above should look like this:
    file = {:Downloaded/Yamanaka et al. - 2006 - Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.pdf:pdf},

Note that there is _no_ slash or backslash in before the first folder. Zotero should now import all PDFs from Mendeley.
  • I was about to post the same exact solution. We'll fix this at some point.

I'm also interested in the RIS import that failed for you. Could you post a sample RIS entry? Hopefully one that fails to import.

Regarding the issue with dragging and dropping PDFs in, it is indeed rather slow now and the devs are working on improving Zotero performance, so this is likely to become faster in the future. I dragged and dropped 400 PDFs and it took about 2 minutes to import, but all of them were imported. There is currently an issue where if the PDF file name is very long (and becomes too long to store in your file system within the Zotero directory) it is silently dropped. This may be what is happening to you. We're aware of the issue and it should be fixed soon.
  • (what aurimas says about PDFs, but to re-iterate - don't do that if you already have the PDFs associated with bibliographic data - i.e. in Mendeley or another ref. manager. You'll lose a lot of info.)
  • edited March 16, 2013
    @adamsmith: I tried deleting most of the filepath and placing the .bib export in the parent Mendeley Desktop folder, but when trying to import into Zotero I got an error asking me to ensure the file is valid.

Here is an example of what I changed it to:
    @article{Thor2002,
    abstract = {Motor neuron differentiation has been studied intensively in both invertebrates and vertebrates in recent years. These studies have led to the identification of several key regulatory genes acting to generate motor neurons and to specify their subclass identities. By comparing findings from Caenorhabditis elegans, Drosophila and vertebrate model systems, it is apparent that both evolutionarily conserved and non-conserved mechanisms are used.},
    author = {Thor, Stefan and Thomas, JB},
    file = {:Downloaded/Thor, Thomas - 2002 - Motor neuron specification in worms, flies and mice conserved and 'lost'mechanisms.pdf:pdf},
    issn = {0959-437X},
    journal = {Current opinion in genetics \& development},
    keywords = {Animals,Biological Evolution,Caenorhabditis elegans,Caenorhabditis elegans: cytology,Caenorhabditis elegans: embryology,Caenorhabditis elegans: genetics,Conserved Sequence,Developmental,Drosophila melanogaster,Drosophila melanogaster: cytology,Drosophila melanogaster: embryology,Drosophila melanogaster: genetics,Gene Expression Regulation,Homeodomain Proteins,Homeodomain Proteins: physiology,Mice,Motor Neurons,Motor Neurons: physiology,Species Specificity,Vertebrates,Vertebrates: embryology,Vertebrates: genetics},
    month = oct,
    number = {5},
    pages = {558--64},
    pmid = {12200161},
    title = {{Motor neuron specification in worms, flies and mice: conserved and 'lost'mechanisms}},
    url = {http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12200161 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959437X02003404},
    volume = {12},
    year = {2002}
    }

When trying to import this single document to Zotero I didn't get the error but it again didn't include the linked PDF.
  • @aurimas: Here is an example of the Mendeley output for .ris export.

TY - JOUR
    T1 - Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.
    A1 - Yamanaka, Naoki
    A1 - Zitnan, Dusan
    A1 - Kim, Young-Joon
    A1 - Adams, Michael E
    A1 - Hua, Yue-Jin
    A1 - Suzuki, Yusuke
    A1 - Suzuki, Minoru
    A1 - Suzuki, Akemi
    A1 - Satake, Honoo
    A1 - Mizoguchi, Akira
    A1 - Asaoka, Kiyoshi
    A1 - Tanaka, Yoshiaki
    A1 - Kataoka, Hiroshi
    Y1 - 2006/06//
    KW - Amino Acid Sequence
    KW - Animals
    KW - Bombyx
    KW - Bombyx: metabolism
    KW - FMRFamide
    KW - FMRFamide: chemistry
    KW - FMRFamide: genetics
    KW - FMRFamide: isolation & purification
    KW - FMRFamide: metabolism
    KW - Ganglia
    KW - Ganglia: metabolism
    KW - Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental
    KW - Humans
    KW - Insect Hormones
    KW - Insect Hormones: biosynthesis
    KW - Molecular Sequence Data
    KW - Neurons
    KW - Neurons: cytology
    KW - Neurons: metabolism
    KW - RNA, Messenger
    KW - RNA, Messenger: genetics
    KW - RNA, Messenger: metabolism
    JF - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
    VL - 103
    IS - 23
    SP - 8622
    EP - 7
    DO - 10.1073/pnas.0511196103
    UR - http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1482630&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract
    L1 - file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Davis Sam/My Documents/Dropbox/Allan Lab/3.pdf
    N2 - In insects, steroid hormones named ecdysteroids elicit molting and metamorphosis. The prothoracic gland (PG) is a predominant source of ecdysteroids, where their biosynthesis (ecdysteroidogenesis) is regulated by several neuropeptides. Here, we report that FMRFamide-related peptides (FaRPs) regulate ecdysteroidogenesis through direct innervation of the PG in the silkworm Bombyx mori. We purified a previously uncharacterized Bombyx FaRP, DPSFIRFamide, and identified the corresponding Bombyx FMRFamide gene (Bommo-FMRFamide, BRFa), which encodes three additional FaRPs. All BRFa peptides suppressed ecdysteroidogenesis in the PG by reducing cAMP production by means of the receptor for Bommo-myosuppressin, another FaRP we have previously shown to act as a prothoracicostatic factor. BRFa is predominantly expressed in neurosecretory cells of thoracic ganglia, and the neurons in the prothoracic ganglion innervate the PG to supply all four peptides to the gland surface. Electrophysiological recordings during development confirmed the increased firing activity of BRFa neurons in stages with low PG activity and decreased ecdysteroid levels in the hemolymph. To our knowledge, this study provides the first report of peptides controlling ecdysteroidogenesis by direct innervation.
    ER -

I tried importing only 1 or 2 .ris files at a time to Zotero, and that worked. But importing 10 at a time didn't.
  • That should work. Test this with just the item above:
    paste it into and empty notepad file, shorten the filepath as per above, save it into the Mendeley Desktop folder and see if import works.
    If it doesn't, please post the bibtex with the shortened filepath here.
  • @adamsmith: No, same deal as before. Here is what I tried to import:

@article{Yamanaka2006,
    abstract = {In insects, steroid hormones named ecdysteroids elicit molting and metamorphosis. The prothoracic gland (PG) is a predominant source of ecdysteroids, where their biosynthesis (ecdysteroidogenesis) is regulated by several neuropeptides. Here, we report that FMRFamide-related peptides (FaRPs) regulate ecdysteroidogenesis through direct innervation of the PG in the silkworm Bombyx mori. We purified a previously uncharacterized Bombyx FaRP, DPSFIRFamide, and identified the corresponding Bombyx FMRFamide gene (Bommo-FMRFamide, BRFa), which encodes three additional FaRPs. All BRFa peptides suppressed ecdysteroidogenesis in the PG by reducing cAMP production by means of the receptor for Bommo-myosuppressin, another FaRP we have previously shown to act as a prothoracicostatic factor. BRFa is predominantly expressed in neurosecretory cells of thoracic ganglia, and the neurons in the prothoracic ganglion innervate the PG to supply all four peptides to the gland surface. Electrophysiological recordings during development confirmed the increased firing activity of BRFa neurons in stages with low PG activity and decreased ecdysteroid levels in the hemolymph. To our knowledge, this study provides the first report of peptides controlling ecdysteroidogenesis by direct innervation.},
    author = {Yamanaka, Naoki and Zitnan, Dusan and Kim, Young-Joon and Adams, Michael E and Hua, Yue-Jin and Suzuki, Yusuke and Suzuki, Minoru and Suzuki, Akemi and Satake, Honoo and Mizoguchi, Akira and Asaoka, Kiyoshi and Tanaka, Yoshiaki and Kataoka, Hiroshi},
    doi = {10.1073/pnas.0511196103},
    file = {:Downloaded/Yamanaka et al. - 2006 - Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.pdf:pdf},
    issn = {0027-8424},
    journal = {Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America},
    keywords = {Amino Acid Sequence,Animals,Bombyx,Bombyx: metabolism,FMRFamide,FMRFamide: chemistry,FMRFamide: genetics,FMRFamide: isolation \& purification,FMRFamide: metabolism,Ganglia,Ganglia: metabolism,Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental,Humans,Insect Hormones,Insect Hormones: biosynthesis,Molecular Sequence Data,Neurons,Neurons: cytology,Neurons: metabolism,RNA, Messenger,RNA, Messenger: genetics,RNA, Messenger: metabolism},
    month = jun,
    number = {23},
    pages = {8622--7},
    pmid = {16707581},
    title = {{Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.}},
    url = {http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1482630\&tool=pmcentrez\&rendertype=abstract},
    volume = {103},
    year = {2006}
    }
  • Btw. - I'm still confused by the filepath in the Mendeley export.
    /Users/Davis/AppData/... really looks like a Mac filepath (except for the C:\ at the beginning). Does that filepath actually exist on your computer? Does it have the PDF?
  • yeah, that should work without problems. Could you check whether that file -
    Yamanaka et al. - 2006 - Regulation of insect steroid hormone biosynthesis by innervating peptidergic neurons.pdf - is actually in the folder "Downloaded"?
  • Ah, good call. When I tried a different file it imported with PDF attached. But the Yamanaka paper isn't in the Mendeley "Downloaded" folder for some reason.
  • OK, so the problem is that Zotero doesn't fail gracefully when it is pointed to a non-existent file (it's OK with filepaths it doesn't recognize at all, the problem is specifically with missing files - that's why it didn't fail before but just didn't import the file - ideally we'd want the same behavior for files that aren't there).

I'd be pretty sure that the RIS import failed for the same reason, the RIS above looks very clean and I know of other people who've imported their Mendeley libraries via RIS recently.

I don't know enough about Zotero's file handling, so Aurimas or Simon would have to take it from here.
  • Okay, it's working now. Basically what I did was change the filepath to a new folder with all the papers in it, and the RIS import worked with PDFs attached. As you said adamsmith, the path was wrong for some reason and it didn't pick up the PDFs. Thanks for your help!
  • Sorry for the late response, but regarding RIS import
    I tried importing only 1 or 2 .ris files at a time to Zotero, and that worked. But importing 10 at a time didn't.
    What do you mean "1 or 2 .ris files at a time" Do you mean RIS entries within a single file? I don't think it's possible to import multiple RIS files at a time.

Also, when you say importing 10 at a time didn't work, what do you mean by "didn't work"? Was there an error? Did Zotero freeze? Nothing happened?
  • @aurimas - wouldn't RIS import also fail with an error (I think unsupported file format?) when it points to an empty file? That's the case for bibtex and it sounds like that happened here.
  • I'll have to check, but I thought it just doesn't attach the file.
  • This is a simpler problem, but I don't know the best place to raise it. I don't save pdf files with my Zotero database, but rather in a separate directory on my computer. If I have a pdf copy of a paper in my database, I show the location of that pdf in the URL field. When I open that pdf from Zotero in Firefox, it opens in a window without editing capabilities (highlighting, commenting, deleting pages, etc.). I use Adobe X Pro, which is what my installation of Firefox is set to use. I've discovered that this constraint is a consequence of Firefox, not Zotero or Adobe X Pro. However, when I try to open a stored pdf in Zotero Standalone, the pdf opens in a window that can't be moved or resized. The window may show only the closed button in the upper right, or it may not show the top bar of the window at all. I use Windows XP.

Can you tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,

Steve Jenkins
  • so you want the PDF to just open in Adobe Pro?
    Set the launchNonNative Files hidden preference to true:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences
  • (oh - and if that doesn't solve your issue, please start a new thread - I didn't realize this when I posted, but this thread is completely unrelated - it's about importing PDFs, not about opening them).
  • @adamsmith I was super-excited to find this post to help me get my Mendeley pdfs imported, but I tried the filepath shortening find-replace suggestion and it didn't work. The collection imported fine, but there were still no pdfs attached. Any other ideas? (By the way, when I did the export/import using RIS the files were attached, but the tags were all messed up, which is why I tried BibTex. Now the tags are perfect but I have no pdfs. Can't catch a break.)
  • post a single bibtex entry here and maybe I can tell you more.
  • Thanks! Here is one:

@incollection{Carlson2005b,
    address = {New York},
    author = {Carlson, Jon and Watts, Richard E. and Maniacci, Michael},
    booktitle = {Adlerian Therapy: Theory and Practice},
    file = {:Downloaded/Carlson, Watts, Maniacci - 2005 - 2I - Brief Couples Therapy.pdf:pdf},
    keywords = {Adlerian Therapy,Brief Psychotherapy,Couples Therapy,Individual Psychology},
    mendeley-tags = {Adlerian Therapy,Brief Psychotherapy,Couples Therapy,Individual Psychology},
    publisher = {American Psychological Association},
    title = {{2I - Brief Couples Therapy}},
    year = {2005}
    }
  • and when you import that bibtex file, it's in the directory that contains the "Downloaded" folder?
  • I'm also curious about the tags with RIS import? What happened? I thought that would work.