citation import error: loop!

hi.

MacBook Pro
Firefox 19.0.2
Zotero 3.0.14

i'm trying to import a citation to zotero using the "export citation" link in grove music online (oxfordmusiconline.com). The dialog pops up asking "What should firefox do with this file." I select the "save to Zotero" option, at which point the little Zotero notification comes up "saving link" and the initial FF dialog "what should firefox do with this file" returns. If I select "save to Zotero" again, a _second_ little Zotero notification pops up above the first one and the FF dialog reappears. And on and on.

When I check my zotero catalogue, no citations have been added.

Please advise.

Thanks
  • the "save to Zotero" option is for files (like PDFs), not for citation export, so when that opens it's too late. The reason this usually happens is that the RIS file - the citation info - is served with a wrong MimeType - i.e. not recognizable to Zotero as a citation export.

That said - you should see a Zotero URL bar icon that imports citations for items at oxfordmusiconline - do you not?
  • the URL bar icon works, though it defaults to citation type = "journal article." using the URL bar is definitely easier here--thanks for pointing it out!

oxford online definitely thinks that they're exporting an RIS file, though: "Export citation for this article in the RIS format. This format is suitable for ReferenceManager, ProCite, EndNote, RefWorks, and Zotero applications." [the first two words of this quote are a link on the oxfordonline page]
  • oh, I'm sure it is an RIS file - it's just not served with the right mimeType which tells the browser (and Zotero) what type of file it is. No need to worry about this, though, since the URL bar icon actually uses the RIS from Oxfordonline which also determines the item Type - you can save and open the file with a text editor and see for yourself - it starts with: TY - JOUR which stands, obviously, for journal article.
  • edited March 15, 2013
    (Specifically, it's served as "text/plain", meaning that the site is claiming it's just a plain text file. They should fix this.)