Item dissapears from the main column while assigning tags

Recently I've noticed that when I import a new item into my Library and assign tags to the item, the item often disappears from the main column of Zotero. To find the item again, I need to click another collection and then go back to the collection and run a search.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Zotero standalone 3.0.14
  • Are you in a search when you do this? Is something selected in the tag selector?
  • I just tried it again. No. Tag selector was not used. Without selecting any tag in the tag selector box, I assigned tags to a new item and the item dissipated from the centre column (the item is still visible in the right column). Instead, only another item was shown in the centre column. This item was not tagged with the tags I used for the new item.
  • The other item in the middle pane was shown as selected?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for this?
  • > The other item in the middle pane was shown as selected?

No, only the new item was selected.

D25748874
    D550643813

Thanks.
  • edited March 14, 2013
    No, only the new item was selected.
    I'm not sure what you're saying. I was asking what was shown as selected in the middle pane after the edit. Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (Dropbox, imageshack.us, etc.), and provide a link?
  • It seems quite unstable. Now it seems OK.

What I meant was that, after the edit, while the new item was still shown in the right pane, it disappeared from the middle pane. Instead a randomly chosen (apparently) item or items were shown in the middle pane. None of them were selected, because I didn't click them (I was only editing the new item). I was not using the tag selector or using the search query box.

I'll report if it occurs again. Thanks anyway.
  • But what does "a randomly chosen (apparently) item or items were shown in the middle pane" mean? The middle pane is just a list of all your items, so why wouldn't there be other items?
  • Well, it means quite literally. Just editing the tags pane of an item shouldn't affect the items shown in the middle pane, but it just affected. That's the point. All items except an item were hidden as I edited the tags pane of the new item. Then, when I edited the tags pane of the new items further, a different set of items appeared. Hopefully it could be just an unreproducible instability just for today.
  • edited March 14, 2013
    All items except an item were hidden as I edited the tags pane of the new item.
    Hidden how? Because you're in a search—you didn't answer when I asked this above—or because they're just scrolled out of view?

There seems to be a bug in the current version where, at certain Zotero pane sizes, it slightly scrolls the selected item out of view. It's still selected, though, and if you scroll down or up you should be able to see it.

We'll check the scrolling for the next version.
  • It didn't seem the scrolling problem to me. In my memory, it was like when you used the tag selector or search query box to narrow the list down. But I cannot reproduce the phenomena any longer, so I can't be sure at the moment.
  • Did the problem look something like this? See:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/25242/black-lines-missing-citations-toggle-mode/#Item_21

for screen shots and a video. If so, this is a video driver issue.
  • I am almost positive it is the issue I describe above. In any case, we can forget about this unless it occurs again.
  • In the video, there is often a wide white space at the top of the list in the middle pane. In my case, I've never seen such a white space at the top; items were always listed from the top without a space. So I think it's a different phenomenon.
  • This is fixed in the 3.0 Branch dev XPI and will be fixed in 4.0.
  • It happened again, and it turned out to be the scrolling problem, as you pointed out. The other items only seemed to disappear but they were simply scrolled out from the view.
  • You can install the 3.0 Branch dev XPI to fix this. The 3.0 dev XPI is basically just 3.0.14 with this fix (and a couple other minor fixes). You'll still get 4.0 automatically when it comes out.