Storage group ownership

Can somebody please tell us whether it is possible to change ownership of a library? We have a number of members of a project that are starting to build their own libraries (within that project), but then hit their storage limit. We still have plenty of (paid) storage in the project account. How can we get those libraries OFF the quota of the people who started them, and ONTO the project quota? Thanks!
  • You need to transfer ownership of the group. When logged in as the owner of the group, go to the group settings page. There will be additional options including "Transfer Ownership" on the right side. After the initial owner initiates the transfer the new owner must log in and accept.
  • Thanks much! Very useful
  • Hi, we are new to Zotero and have a related question, I set up a group library and then transferred the library ownership to a colleague, thinking that this will allow two owners to share the same library. What we wanted is to have two owners and share our combined storage, which would be 600MB. However, my colleague realized that his storage is full and I am seeing the same limit. How can we tell if we actually have 600 MB? I also could not see the option to allocate storage usage between personal and group library.

Will appreciate your help. Thanks.
  • you can't pool your storage.
    Any group counts towards the group owner's (and only her/his - there can only be one group owner) total storage quota. You can disable file syncing for your personal library (or sync using webDAV), but you can't custom-allocate between group and personal - it's either or.
  • Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if I fully understand your message. You are saying that I can keep personal library without sharing it with group members as long as I disable the sync for personal lib but keep the syn for group lib.

I would like to know too if I were to subscribe to a larger storage space I can allocate/add storage to individual group members' on top of their free storage (including my own).

According to the documentation "Group owners can freely allocate their storage usage between personal and group libraries."

Thanks.
  • You cannot actually disable sync for your personal library and still sync with groups, but you _can_ disable file sync for it (in the sync tab of the preferences). Since only file sync affects your storage, that's what matters here. Note that syncing isn't the same as sharing - your personal library will be private unless you explicitly opt to make it public and even then people can only see it on the webpage.

When you subscribe to a storage plan, you don't get any additional settings, you just get more storage. Any storage that you have gets filled up by all files synced through both your personal and the group libraries you own. As long as you allow it and they have the requisite permissions (that can be set by the group owner, i.e. you) any group member can add files to the group. Again, those count against the storage of the owner, not the person who added them.

"Freely allocate" in the documentation just means that you can use storage for personal or group files however you want. There is no setting for this - it just fills up sequentially as you use it.
  • okay, is it correct to say that basically the owner that subscribes to the storage has no control over usage allocation, and every group member (including owner) can continue to upload new files to the personal library as long as the subscribed storage is free.
  • edited September 19, 2013
    and every group member (including owner) can continue to upload new files to the personal library
    I'm not following you here. Members personal libraries go towards _their_ storage quota, not the group owner's.
  • I am trying to understand the statement below and the implications of inviting members to share the additional storage.

"Group owners can freely allocate their storage usage between personal and group libraries."

So for members, their will still have personal lib quota maximum 300MB? And only owner who subscribes can extend the storage for personal library?

Hope my questions are clear now.

Cheers
  • The owner can allocate her/his storage between their own personal library and any group libraries s/he has. There is no way to "transfer" storage space to someone else.

Group members' storage quota has nothing to do with the group. Their storage quota isn't affected by anything that happens in the group and they can upgrade their storage - be it for their personal library or for another group library they own.

If this still isn't clear, I'll need you to spend more time describing what you're trying to do and what your concerns are.
  • Hi, I think I am good for now. It is less of a concern but more of trying to 'allocate' space to others. You have answered my main question, i.e. there is no setting to do so. Thanks again.
  • Is there a limit to how much storage you can have in a shared group? Or is group storage only limited by the individual member's storage max.?
  • Group storage is taken out of the group owner’s quota. The storage quotas of other members are not affected.
  • edited August 18, 2017
    See https://www.zotero.org/support/storage

Group storage limit is connected to the group owner's storage limit, not the storage limits of individual group members. For example, if the owner of Group A purchases an unlimited storage plan ($120/yr), the library for Group A (data and attachments) enjoy unlimited storage. This has no effect (good or bad) on the My Library of Group A members, or the storage limit for other groups they might be members of. This also does not affect any groups that Group A owner participates as non-owner. However, if Group A owner also owns Group B and C, then Groups B and C also enjoy unlimited storage.
  • Ah, thank you for the response. For some reason, not all of the items are uploading to the group library, so my colleague cannot see them--this in addition to missing tags and notes. Why is that? We both have more than enough storage via paid accounts.