Chicago and short title

How do you get Chicago to use short title on the second ocurance of the sited work. I guess the big question is how to customize Chicago?
  • edited May 1, 2008
    Chicago style in Zotero uses the "Short Title" field to display titles in subsequent references. These are set automatically when the item is imported from an online database, but you have to enter it manually for now if you enter the item by hand. In the future, Zotero will automatically fill short title when the user tabs out of the title field on manual entry.
  • Thanks, but I did not get a short title, I got ibid. What am I doing wrong?
  • Are you citing the same single work in two consecutive notes? If yes, that's expected behavior in Chicago.
  • Thanks again, sorry to be such a dullard, but to answer your question: Yes, in consecutive notes, and of course, in other cases not consecutive. Unfortunately, my professor does not like ibid.He prefers short title when work cited after initial cite. I can use end notes and customize the citation, but I want to use zotero.
  • edited May 2, 2008
    You can use Chicago no ibid style, but that style doesn't generate bibliographies, only footnotes. Or, if you need bibliography, you can customize Chicago Full Note with Bibliography style--just delete the if/else-if statements that contain ibid
  • Thanks again. Where do I find the styles so I can change them