Style error: chicago-author-date.csl with citeproc-hs: two full stops after "ed.."

When using chicago-author-date.csl with pandoc/citeproc-hs, two full stops appear after the abbreviation for "edition", i.e. "ed..".

This does not happen in Zotero, which, once more, seems to be more forgiving than other processors.

Changing, in <macro name="edition">, the two occurrences of

<text term="edition" form="short"/>

to

<text term="edition" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>

seems to solve this issue.

Could the version in the repository be updated accordingly?

Thank you.
  • that will have to be done with caution. This time this is actually due to a difference in philosophy between -js and -hs: -js removes duplicate periods, -hs doesn't.
    There are a lot of advantages to the -js approach here - especially that we don't need to pay attention to what follows the edition macro - because if it is followoed by a comma, we _wouldn't_ want to strip the period (that's definitely the case for chapter at times, not sure for books).
    Andrea strongly disagrees with the -js approach here, I believe, but he doesn't code any styles ;-)...
  • I see, that’s all a bit difficult on the processors’ side.

And you’re right, chapters are indeed special.

Still, in Chicago-Author-Date, page numbers, or volume with page numbers apparently are the only elements that are ever separated from the edition by a comma. All other elements, even volume if appearing without page numbers, are separated by a full stop.

Thus, if the second occurrence of <text term="edition" form="short"/> (which formats chapter and paper-conference) is left unchanged, the results seem ok.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp).