Chicago doesn't work correctly, DEV styles won't function

Several problems here. No matter what I try, I can't get volume/series numbers to appear for books in series.

I've seen threads saying to use one of the dev styles for Chicago, but when I try those, I always just get "can't connect" errors, and ultimately have to go back.

Ibid is also screwed up, and the no Ibid. dev style has the same problem as everything else.

Help, please? (I'm kind of surprised that there are so many problems with Chicago - don't historians primarily use Chicago?)
  • Why exactly do you mean by a "'can't connect' error"?
  • Ah, sorry. "An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again."

Also, I've just noticed that apparently it doesn't like to include a period on the end of the endnotes. A few have it, but not many (and there doesn't appear to be much of a trend). It's also cutting off half of the last letter in one particularly long book title. I tried adding an extra space after it, but that only results in a very long and ugly space after the last word.
  • Are you using the dev XPI with the dev styles?
  • Thank you! The dev XPI fixed the Ibid problem.
    Now I just need proper periods and volume/series numbers to appear and I'll be back in business here. (This is why I wish my prof. wasn't a former English teacher. She'll freak if there aren't periods on the end of each citation in the footnotes.)
  • edited May 1, 2008
    @Ikeya please provide an example of references that don't work (full citations). Series numbers are currently not included but can be added. Volume numbers should work already.

Missing period at the end of a footnote is a known problem. In the short term, opening the footnote to edit adds the period. Just click on "Zotero Edit Citation" button, then close the dialogue--you don't have to change anything.
  • For example:
    Charles Avery Amsden, An Analysis of Hohokam Pottery Design, Medallion Papers (Globe: Privately Printed for the Medallion Gila Pueblo, 1936), 2

This should also indicate that it is # 23 in the series, and that information should be included just after Medallion Papers, as that is the name of the series. With another example of this, I've tried putting it is as a volume number, and that's not doing it either.

For another book in the same series, it now refuses to show the series, the series number, or the date of publication, even though all of this information is in Zotero.

Interestingly enough, the word that it was shortening yesterday now appears fine, but a different word, at the end of a much shorter title, is now truncated.

Also, clicking "zotero edit citation" and then closing does nothing for the period problem.

Thanks for your help!
  • Series number is now included in all Chicago dev styles.
    Also, clicking "zotero edit citation" and then closing does nothing for the period problem.
    Works fine for me. Did you select the footnote before hitting the button?
    For another book in the same series, it now refuses to show the series, the series number, or the date of publication, even though all of this information is in Zotero.
    Are you sure you put the information in the right fields?
  • Hurray for the series numbers! (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)

And for some reason, it appears that the paper with most of these problems is absolutely screwy. The information is in the right fields.

In the other paper I'm working on right now, most of these things work properly. The period fix does not, however, seem to work on citations where I have added other text to the endnote using the edit citation option. It is also still randomly truncating words (by half of the last letter).

It really doesn't seem to like it if I have anything in the footnote except Zotero's citation. What is the best way to combat this? In my field, footnotes usually contains lots of other stuff, along with the citation.