Clearly, there is a problem

I just read through 10 or so of the posts here in Synching, just from this week. It looks very likely that this is *A* problem, and not individual problems.

So, did something change in Zotero in the past week or two? Or did something change in Firefox?

Or, alternately, has *anyone* successfully synched their library from a Firefox PC Zotero plugin in the last 2 weeks?
  • If syncing is down, we get dozens of error reports within an hour.
    I believe the number of people syncing Zotero every day is between 100,000 and 200,000 - 10 error reports within a week - and most of them with very distinctive errors, some related to file syncing only - isn't that unusual. I don't think there is any indication that there is a general problem.
  • I use my zotero every day, and just happened need to access something via zotero.org, and thus noticed that nothing synced for ages. And saw a LOT of unresolved posts in the forum reporting the same. So, I guess my question is -- what do I do? Instructions here say to ask on forum. http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sync_queuing
  • reporting is fine, Dan will takee a look, I'm just saying that if there were a general problem things would look very different here - we've seen that when the amazon servers went down.

I can only see three posts with a problem that's actually like yours within the last week. All other sync problems reported were file sync related or had specific errors.
  • edited March 8, 2013
    Yeah, this isn't related to the other recent sync threads.

You have a very large upload queued (and failing) on the server, with one or more top-level items containing thousands of child notes. This is due to a recent bug in the OCLC FirstSearch translator. You should delete the affected items and empty the trash (which you might need to do in batches, as explained in that thread), and then you should be able to sync.

You can sort by Date Modified to find the affected items, or select an item in the middle pane and press the "+" key to expand all items.

Once you delete the items and empty the trash, post here and I'll clear your stalled upload on the server.
  • I am having a problem syncing to firefox plugin on windows. I haven't used this particular pc for some time (it says last sync a year ago) and even the folders it shows are not up to date. Also an attempt to sync is reporting conflict errors. and, attachments cannot be found.
  • @john sharrock: start a new thread, this is unrelated.
    Cf. also: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
  • Dan, thank you! I was finally able to delete the dozen note-burdened titles.

Here's hoping this sync actually will actually go through now -- I closed and restarted Firefox, and an half hour later the green arrow still spins... fingers crossed.
  • that seems too long. Have you emptied your Zotero trash?
  • edited March 11, 2013
    Adam, yes. After the trash emptied, I closed and restarted Firefox. Still she spins!

there are 20 days of unsynced files to sync. But only a hundred or so items. And I checked -- no bloated notes in that part of the library
  • I needed to clear your stalled sync. Try now.
  • yay! Thank you so much!