Syncing Error 1696675227 (Linux Mint and Win7)

I tried to copy my database and attached files from a Win7 computer to a Linux Mint one. After I copied the data, I synced the Zotero, but I got a message saying that there almost all my attachments will be uploaded. I abort, and did a sync reset from Zotero server to my Linux machine. Then, when I synced the Win machine, I got the message about uploading large amount of files. I did a sync reset from server to Win. Then, when syncing the files, I got that error message.
Please, could you help me.
I would like to ask also if there is some issue when copying the Zotero folder from a Win to a Linux machine: why did I got a message about uploading almost all the attachments? Is there a way to avoid it?
Thank you, very much.
  • (In general it is not a good idea to use the Reset options for troubleshooting unless you know exactly what you're doing. That's why they're on an extra tab and there is a warning about just that at the top. The last sync error is probably the result of excessively using reset & abort, though Dan would have to say for sure).

The operating systems is irrelevant when transferring your database so that's not the problem.

How exactly did you copy your database?

Do you have your files synced to the Zotero server? By default, a new Zotero install will have file syncing turned on. If you had it turned off on your old machine, then transferred the database to a new install you'd see exactly what you're observing.
  • Thanks, Adam.
    I copied the Zotero folder to a USB drive.
    I have the files synced to a Webdav server.
    My question is why the need to upload almost 5000 files after copying the folder...
    And then, again, in the old computer, after the reset on the new...

Could you help me to avoid it?
    Thanks.
  • are you sure your sync settings are correct on the new computer?
    As I say, by default they'd point to Zotero file storage, not to your webDAV.

And have you checked that your files actually did sync to the webDAV previously?
  • I think that there is no problem with the settings. After introducing my data on the new computer, I did "verify server".

I synced my old computer before copying, and I did not get any error message...

Could be some problem?
  • I got the message about uploading large amount of files
    What message are you referring to, exactly?
  • If you're just looking at the counter in the blue progress bar tooltip, that doesn't necessarily mean your files are being uploaded, just procsesed. Unless you preserved modification times when copying, Zotero would need to check each file to see if it changed.
  • Thanks. I know that usually the files are just processed, but there were uploading (I suppose, because the process was very slowly, and showing the amount of data to be upload).
  • Thanks for the hint, Dan. I preserved modification times when copying and everything went smoothly.
  • Help!
    Today, after some days without working on it, I tried to sync my Windows machine, and got a syncing error.

Component returned failure code: 0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG) [nsIZipReader.extract]

The Report ID is 1315693900.
  • For starters, upgrade to Zotero 3.0.14. You're still on 3.0.3 for some reason.
  • Thanks, Dan.
    It's syncing.

Is there a way to have it to automatically check for an upgrade? For some reason, I got newer versions in Linux but not in Win machine...
  • It should by default. Not sure why it wouldn't for you, but let us know if it happens again.