Word in Mac crashes while making Track Changes... I think Zotero plugin might be part of the problem

Hi... I just got a new MacBook Pro and Word is installed on it.

Word keeps crashing in the middle of me writing comments (not changing zotero fields) in track change bubbles. Here is the latest report... judging from the wording used for the doc they requested, I am wondering if Zotero has something to do with this. Has anyone else had this problem?

Word froze - here was the error message:
A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective. (Katie Wilson 1r graded.docx)

Then it seemed to come back and then it crashed. Her is that crash report:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGTRAP)
Date/Time: 2013-03-04 04:05:30 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Version: 14.3.1.130117
Crashed Module Name: merp
Crashed Module Version: 2.2.4.130117
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00003782
Blame Module Name: Microsoft Word
Blame Module Version: 14.3.1.130117
Blame Module Offset: 0x00025191
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0

Finally Word requested this file be sent... Zotero is in the name... not sure why:

The following files will be sent:
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word/Zotero.dot
/Users/kwf7t/Documents/Comps/Spring 2013/TA-RRRiF S13/Film Reviews/Places In The Heart/Katie Wilson 1r graded.docx
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Media/Document Elements/Table of Contents.dotx
  • they're requesting Zotero.dot because it's in the startup folder, meaning it's open at that point. Zotero.dot only puts bar with the Zotero icons in Word and/or the apple script menu, almost certainly it's not the source of the crash.
    There were in the past some cases of Zotero not interacting well with track changes, but that should be solved and we haven't heard anything in years. Unless you hear differently from MS this doesn't seem like it's Zotero related.
  • Thank you! I hope this can get resolved. If by chance they mention something to do with Zotero, I will post it here. (I doubt they will ever get back to me.)
  • Hi Siemprechipil, I wonder, did you ever get a response to this issue. My MS word crashes all the time, and I've just realised its often in documents that have had Track Changes in them - even if all are accepted at that point.
  • hi s.nijjer,

This was a while ago... but have you tried turning off "use balloons to display changes"in Word's Track Change Preferences?