Magic Wand doesn't work with any identifier (PUBMED, DOI, ISBN)

Hi!

I've been using Zotero for some years. Since some months ago, any of my collegues in my organization could introduce any identifier (PUBMED, DOI or ISBN) in the "magic wand". Zotero gets almost stuck, and after a while, any item is introduce in our library.

When I use zotero in my personal computer or with a 3G internet usb connection, zotero does work again though. We all are using 10 different IP directions from our organization (juntadeandalucia.es). Some of our computer technicians advised us that maybe, zotero is interpreting our IP as "an attack".

Thanks for the help,

Don't hesitate to send me an email for further information,

Best,
  • Ok Gracile this is the ID of the bug reported 1914237789

Thanks!
  • Zotero gets almost stuck, and after a while, any item is introduce in our library.
    I'm not sure I understand that. Could you explain that in some more detail? Puede ser en español si prefieres.

The computers on the same IP wouldn't be a problem for Zotero - the add by identifier goes right to the respective databases and never contacts the Zotero server. I doubt that those databases would shut you down unless you're doing this on a very massive scale - this is Pubmed, CrossRef and Library of Congress, so they have substantial capacity and I don't think they mind whatever ten users can do.
  • [JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630001 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_BUSY) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x80630001 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_BUSY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: :: line 149" data: no] [QUERY: UPDATE processed_collections SET status = 'failed' WHERE status = 'running';] [ERROR: database is locked]"]"
    This may or may not be related to your current issue, but try disabling your third-party extensions that interact with Zotero. This error is not from Zotero itself (and if this is happening the other extension is doing something wrong when trying to access the Zotero database).
  • Hi!

I am sorry but ¿what do you mean with the "third-party extensions"? Where is it? in mozilla plugins or zotero standalone?

Thanks in advanced
  • those would be add-ons under tools--> add-ons (things like Zotfile, Papermachine, etc.) in whatever Zotero version you use, either Standalone or the Firefox add-on.
  • I'm sorry Adam it didn't work neither. I disable all the add-ons and it still remains minutes like being searching for the doi or ISBN code but it get nothing.

Any other clue?

Thank you in advance
  • edited October 2, 2013
    Could you submit a Debug ID for an attempt to import item via Magic Wand tool with all extensions disabled?
  • Here it is: 321172707
  • That's a Report ID, which may still be helpful. A Debug ID (see the link in my post) will start with a D
  • I'm not sure if it is the correct debug id but still:

D1534302538

Hope it's useful
  • Take a look up to this one as well:

D871911778
  • Hi Dan,

I am able to load this URL, it seems to be a script or something but now I am at home not at my workplace. I'll try it tomorrow and I tell you.

Thanks!
  • Good mourning from Spain!

I can not load that URL when I am at my workplace.

so what's next? calling Crossref?

Thanks!
  • This is most likely a problem with your workplace's network. You should talk to your IT department.

Can you load http://www.crossref.org ?
  • No I can't neither.
  • So what does it mean? May I do something for it?
  • Did you include the question mark in your attempt to reach CrossRef? If so, try again without the space and the question mark.

If you are unsuccessful, follow aurimus' advice and contact your worksite IT people.
  • No I didn't include the question mark. It just doesn't load the URL. So maybe I'll have to talk with my company IT people.

Thank you all for your attention.

I will keep you inform about this issue.
  • Hey! My IT collegues has unblocked the access to crossref and Zotero has began to work properly again!

The problem: We all, I mean my whole company, access to the crossref with just a few IP directions. That's why crossref interpreted the consultations as a DDoS attack or something else.

Thank you so much for your attention. I hope this can help you further.