can't cite same reference with different page numbers

Hello,

I'm using Zotero with Word for Mac, and writing in Chicago style. I often quote multiple sections from the same work. On the first quotation, I specify a pg. number and it gives me the full citation with no problems. But when I then cite the same work, and put in a different page number, later, Zotero goes back and changes the page number of the first citation as well.

Please help.

Thanks
  • where are you specifying the page number? In the word plugin or in Zotero?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#inserting_and_editing_citations
  • I am doing it in the word plugin - I click the shaded cite in the Quick Format box to open the cite options window and then enter the page number where it says "page."

I have already that page - it didn't mention that putting in a subsequent reference would change the number for the first reference or suggest how to tell it not to do that.
  • could you describe precisely step by step what you're doing?
    If you're doing this right, what you're seeing shouldn't happen (and doesn't for me)- you should either get ibid or a shortened note followed by the new page number with no change to the original citation.
  • and also, see if you can replicate this in a minimal new document, i.e. with only 2 or 3 citations in the document.
  • edited February 24, 2013
    I can't reproduce this either. I've never seen anything like this, even in pre-release versions of the processor. A couple of further things to check:

Is a change in the label (page, folio etc.) also reflected on the previous cite?

Do you see the same behaviour with other citation styles? It is at least conceivable that this could be caused by an invalid CSL style. If other styles work correctly, reinstalling the Chicago style might clear things up.
  • Hi - sorry for the delay.

Step-by-step:

1) When I figured out how to add pg numbers directly (instead of manually), I clicked on my first citation and hit the "edit citation" icon in the zotero toolbar in Word for Mac.

2) That pulled up the quick-format box. I clicked on the highlighted text for my citation and that brought up a drop down menu with three boxes. I entered the pg number in the box that said "page." Then I hit enter.

3) Briefly, a box appeared stating the following, "You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates? Clicking "yes" will prevent Zotero form updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the item to which it refers. Clicking "no" will erase your changes." I click "no" because I don't want to keep my manual page numbers, and because I do want Zotero to be able to update the citation in the future.

4) I then go to the next citation (where I have also manually added a page number), click the edit icon and repeat step 2.

5) I get the same box as in step 3, once again I click "no," both the first and second citations have their pg. numbers changed.

The only thing I can think of is that I should click "yes" in step 3 and 5 - but the box makes it sound like Zotero will then not be able to change the formatting of that citation in the future if I do that.
  • how about if you repeat steps 1, 2, and 4 with the same citations? You shouldn't get the message from 3/5 (and you were right to click no on that) and possibly this is just a glitch with manually edited citations.
  • what do you mean the same citation? They were all citations of the same source with different page numbers.
  • By the same citation I mean not the same item - I realize they're all the same - but actually the same two footnotes (that are now, presumably wrongly, showing the same page number). I.e. I'm asking you to do exactly the same thing that you've already done once more.
  • Hi Adam,

Yes, it seems to be working properly when I do it all over again. Thanks for helping me through it.
  • Maybe someone with Word can try to replicate your issues - that still shouldn't have happened, of course, but I'm glad you now have a viable workaround. Clearly, you will only have to do this twice for citations that you had modified manually before, otherwise this will work with your first try.