automatically detect note vs. full note in chicago style

I have just started using Zotero (v. 3.0.4), and I can not figure out how to get it to automatically detect whether a work has been cited before and adjust the citation accordingly in Word for Mac 2010. In Chicago style the first time a work is referenced it need a "full note" citation, but only a "short note" style thereafter. I can get Zotero to apply either the "full note" or "short note" styles to ALL the citations, but I was told that the program could automatically tell whether something had been cited before or not - is this the case?
  • if you use the "full note" version of the style, you should get abbreviated notes on subsequent citations of the same item. If that's not the case, we'd need more details.
  • and I assume you mean you're using version 3.0.14, right? Else you'll need to update.
  • I'm sorry, you're correct, when I cite it later it does change - sorry for wasting your time. (And yest, I meant 3.0.14 - made that mistake in another post as well.

Thank you!
  • I have the same problem.

For me, it just shows the title and the author only.
    I need full note. It used to give me full note several months ago.
    But this time, it just give me short ones from the beginning.

How can I have full note?? Help me asap.
  • Are you absolutely certain you're using the correct style? What is it called (check under Set Document Preferences).