Toolbar missing in Word 2013

2»
  • I made it - many thanks!
  • Recently had the same problem on windows 8 and word 2013, and after installing manually it still didn´t work. After double clicking in the explorer on the Zotero.dot file in the word startup folder, it showed up in word and worked.
  • You shouldn't ever double-click on Zotero.dot. If you're doing that, something is wrong. Zotero.dot should be in the Word startup folder and load automatically.
  • @Dan good to know, thank you!
  • Hi !

As for me (working with W7 Professional and Office 2013), the instruction in Zotero Documentation (https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions) quite worked, excepted for the location of the Word Startup file, which I found here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\STARTUP

Once the zotero.dot file is copied, it works alright.

Good luck!
  • Hi everyone,

I have just found out that under Windows 8.1 and Word 2013 combination Zotero properly installs the plugin, but... It installs into the path which is valid in standard English installation of Word 2013. Different language of Word 2013 may have localized path to the file.
    Given that, once you install the Zotero Word plugin it will automatically appear in the "C:\Users\***ur usrname***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup" folder. You just need to copy the Zotero.dot file to the folder appropriate to your language version of Word 2013. In the "C:\Users\***ur usrname***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\" folder you need to look for the folder with the name, which is equivalent to the "Startup" word in the given language. Copy "Zotero.dot" there and you should be fine.
  • edited January 26, 2015
    Windows 7 enterprise, Office 2013, chrome user. Had a similar problem which I fixed. My office is native language dutch so I will translate as best as I can. I installed the zotero standalone program. For firefox users, the correct directory for the .dot file is two pots down.

Solution:

Go to the top left corner, blue button named FILE

Go to OPTIONS at the bottom

In the new window, go to the second last option INSERT OPTIONS (loosely translated, could also be called ADDINS?)

At the bottow, there is a dropdown window with a button START next to it. I had to choose the fourth option which is called "sjablonen" in dutch. It's the nam for .dot extension files. If you are not sure which option to choose from. It is the same name as the file type in the following directory:
    C:\Users\::username::\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup (::username:: is the user name of the currently logged-in user)

You will get a new window pop up. In the middle right there well be an ADD button. Press it.

A search window will open up. Go the the directory with the sjabloon (.dot file). Press OK when you have selected the file. Press enable/ok.

Word will new ask if you want to enable macros, the answer is YES.

A new tab will appear on the top with all the zotero reference crap in it.

Hope this helps.
  • I do not have the Zotero add ons in my 2013 MS Word. I tried looking for zotero.dot in the startup menu using %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles\ and then I get 58d5o1e4.default so I click on it and get the zotero folder. I went into the folder and could not find zotero.dot
    where do I go from here?
  • Geminiguy

Install the zotero standalone program. I did that because I am using chrome (you are using firefox?). Also: at first I could not find it because my computer options was on: Do not show hidden files and folders. Make sure your computer is showing them.

If you do those two things the .dot file will definitely show up in that folder location.
  • no, Geminguy is looking in the wrong place.
    %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles\58d5o1e4.default\zotero is the Zotero data folder. The .dot isn't going to be there

You want to look in:

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles\58d5o1e4.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install

There's no need to install Zotero Standalone if you're using Firefox.
  • He encontrado que el link de Petersv funciona muy bien, para la versión en español, sólo deben pegar C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install, en la barra del explorador.
    Aparecerá el icono de Zotero para ser abierto con Word, dar doble click cuando se abra el documento, habilitar Macros.
    Gracias por su ayuda.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Aquí, instrucciones sencillas en español https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziwuxhqh1j208rd/HABILITAR%20COMPLEMENTO%20DE%20ZOTERO%20EN%20WORD.txt
  • The toolbar is also missing for me. If I click File->Options->Add-Ins, many Add-ins are shown but not Zotero.

I tried the "manual install" approach. (I found zotero.dot and I found the Windows start-up folder and I performed the copy and the restart.)

Endnote X7 had previously been installed and I worry its presence is the problem. Endnote changes so many of the tabs. Do others have this problem?
  • Hi,

thanks for your help martinboeckhout, I followed every step and it worked for me! (Y).
  • Windows 7 Word 13
    Sometimes we try many things without checking the result properly. Following instructions indicated above I tried several ways and ended up with three different Zotero installations in Word 13.

1) For those with Zotero stand alone it is worth installing, or reinstalling, the latest version of the Zotero word integration extension. Download from https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation
    Open Zotero and then: Tools->Add Ons->Install add-on from file

2) I reinstalled my Firefox Zotero-Word integration plugin

3) I used the customise ribbon approach indicated by Knut1 above.

The best integration produces an extra 'ZOTERO' tab with elegant icons. The second best produces an 'ADD-INS' tab with small icons and a 'custom toolbars' text underneath. The customise ribbon approach produces a 'NEW TABS' icon which can be renamed to 'Zotero' but does not have the proper icons and is less elegant (at least in my efforts).

As a final comment in the Word->Add-Ins window under 'Active Application Add-ins', shows a 'Zotero.dot' and 'Zotero.dotm', reflecting two of the different installations. None of my efforts were 'manual', just selecting and clicking.
  • For those with Zotero stand alone it is worth installing, or reinstalling, the latest version of the Zotero word integration extension.
    No, don't do this, and uninstall it if you did. Zotero comes bundled with the latest versions of the plugins, and installing those will prevent the plugin from being updated in the future.
    I reinstalled my Firefox Zotero-Word integration plugin
    Don't do this either.
  • Zotero has automatically upgraded half a dozen times over the last couple of months. So the above installation method did not affect this.
  • dstillman was talking about the Word add-on, not Zotero itself.
  • I had to reinstall Office 2013 and note that it automatically includes an extra tab for Zotero. So this thread might actually be an oversight on my part. On the other hand good to see that Zotero is so good that Microsoft software ships with it!
  • Hi everyone! to solve this, I recommend you all to:
    1. Make sure your Ms.Word is closed
    2. Open Zotero, click Tools --> Add Ons --> in Extension tab, click "Zotero word for Windows Integration
    3. Click Options --> click tab "Cite". There are two sub-menu (Styles & Word Processor)
    4. Click "Word Processor"
    5. Click "Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in" and then restart your Zotero
    6. Open Ms. Word, DONE!