Toolbar missing in Word 2013

Hi,

I'm using Zotero Standalone with Word plugin and google Chrome. I recently upgraded to Office 2013 but I can't find the Zotero toolbar anymore in Word. I tried re-installing Zotero standalone and the Word plugin but this does not resolve the issue.
Any suggestions?
  • I don't know Word 2013 but in Word 2010 the Zotero toolbar is in the “Add-Ins” tab on the ribbon.
    Cf. http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear
  • Thanks but in Word 2013 there is no add-in tab...(in my case at least)
  • I also had this problem. Manually copying zotero.dot into the word startup directory did the trick for me. See https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions
  • Thanks, that solved it for me as well!
  • I did that(copying to the startup directory) but I stil can´t find the somekind of toolbar for Zotero.
  • I had after the copying to enter Word-Preferences and then Extensions. At the bottom at "Handle"-menu I chose and opened "Word-Exstention". (Sorry I have a danish edition of Word, so I don't know the english names for the set-up).

In the new menu I had to mark/check "Zotero.dot" manually and then by clicking OK and restarting Word, my Zotero was integrated.
  • I had the same problem (missing toolbar after successful installation), and the following worked for me:

1. Go to 'options'
    2. Choose 'customise ribbon'
    3. Under 'Choose commands from' select 'macros'

and, voila, all the zotero functions come up.

Click on 'New tab' and add the seven functions.

Done!
  • I tried this, but unfortunately under macros no functions come up... I don't know how to fix this problem...
  • Have you checked the ribbon again for the 'add-ins' tab, to see if the zotero toolbar may have suddenlhy appeared after downloading? It did so in my case after a few repeated downloads, and re-starting both word and firefox, and after doing what I described earlier.
  • edited October 8, 2013
    give a try:
    install plugin as suggested :
    http://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions

copy zotero.dot from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install

to

C:\Users\***ur usrname***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Autostart

on my computer (w7 enterprise + office 2013) i have the zotero.dot file both in the startup and autostart directories. Macros enabled.
  • Hi petersv,

I tried copying the file into the MS Word autostart, but when I try to copy to the right folder, I can't locate it. I have checked my MS Word file location and it says that my startup files are located in: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP but when I copy the zotero.dot file and then try to locate the correct folder to put it, when I navigate to C:\Users\Owner there is no AppData folder available for me to choose.

Any suggestions about how to fix this?
  • That directory might be set to hidden by default, so you may need to either type it in (where you do that depends on your system, but, say, the Start menu, or the Windows Explorer address bar) or set Windows to show hidden/system files.
  • Okay, so I tried pasting it into that folder by going through the Word file location, but it tells me that the zotero.dot file already exists. Yet, I still have no Zotero toolbar showing up in MS Word.

If you have no Add-Ins tab, where should this toolbar be showing up anyway?
  • edited November 21, 2013
    Hi aimeep,

1st, 4.0.16 is out, start with the upgarde.

Mr Stillman may be right, it looks that you have some security/permission issues.

Try a file manager, eg ghisler's total commander. Locate the

C:\Users\***ur usrname***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup

directory on the left side and select (click) the zotero
    .dot. Locate the

C:\Users\***ur usrname***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Autostart

on the right side. Than it's a simple copy operation, F5+ENTER or drag and drop. You must have the .dot file in the Autostart dir.
    If you have problems displaying/entering hidden directories, in TC go to configurations\options\display and checkpipe "show hidden files".

I've just tried it out on a system that has never had Zotero before, and it's working for the first time, without any complication.
    However, I have the add-in tab also before installing Zotero, so it is may deactivated in your word. You can solve this by go to "word/file/options/customize ribbon" and in the right column (customize the ribbon) check, if Add-in has check-piped.

Let me know if you failed or succeed.
  • One more thing ! if you first run MSW after installing Zotero, a security stripe(?) will show up under the ribbon asking if you enable running macros.
    The correct answer is yes.
  • @Knut1, many thanks: your solution is simple and it works, a friend of mine had tried it successfully as we installed Zotero in his PC.
  • But really though, the new Ribbon has been in Word since 2007 and Zotero shouldn't be relying on the old methods for producing an add-in which uses the the Add-in tab... that was for Office 2003 and older.

When I tried using it with Word 2013, I have the add-in buttons, but when I click insert citation, first nothing happened, and now it says it can't find the add-on.
  • I'm pretty sure that the only way Word 2007+ allow add-ins to generate toolbars is in the add-ins tab. That's where Mendeley and Endnote are sitting, too, for example.

If you're having problems getting the add-in to work, please start a new thread and provide verbatim error messages as well as any troubleshooting steps that you've taken.
  • edited May 21, 2014
    Idk about 2007, but in 2010, Mendeley sits in the References tab and Endnote sits in both References tab and adds its own tab.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez8o3sn9rg4ahym/mendnote.png

Edit:
    EndNote X7 tab: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4ozhu6ei37cv2v/endnote-word.png

Zotero tab: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k9hqxnrx8mxrhk/zotero-word.png :-(
  • Hi,
    thanks everyone for your help. I had the same problem. Installed everything, zotero.dot was in startup folder (however I cannot locate autostart folder, is it possible that it is missing completely)? Customizing ribbon did not help because I did not see zotero in "macros" at all. I have Word 2013 in my local language a I have really big issues with following your steps as everything (and I mean everything) is called differently in my local version and I am sometimes totaly lost, as I have this new Word only for few days and I am not used to it at all. Everything is hidden somewhere, its really frustrating.

Anyway, I tried everything I could, but what finaly helped was Ekspreslaan advice:
    "enter Word-Preferences and then Extensions. At the bottom at "Handle"-menu I chose and opened "Word-Exstention". In the new menu mark/check "Zotero.dot" manually and then by clicking OK and restarting Word, my Zotero was integrated."

Zotero apperaed on ribbon even without restart of Word. So, now it seems finally working, but I have another problem - whenever I close Word, it returns back to previous setting and I have to start manually zotero every time I need it (I mean go to preferences - extensions nad manually add zotero.dot), which is really stupid. Any other changes I do, such as customizing anything, it stays, only zotero turns off every time. Any advice on this?
  • I could not locate the word start up folder. The instruction says:

"The correct folder can be found in the Options window of Word:"

But where is this Options window of Word?

I don't know how to find the default one as I don't know my username - any idea how I can find out?
  • There are detailed instructions how to find the "Options" window right under the line that you quote.
  • OK, it says:

"Word 2007 or later: Click the Microsoft Office Button"

But where is the Microsoft Office Button?
  • Top left corner (I'll add that clarification). It also elaborates:
    "Click the Microsoft Office Button (in Word 2010 the “File” tab replaces the Microsoft Office Button)"
  • Thank you, I found it but when I tried to copy the Zotero file into the word start up file, it says a file with the same name already exists - what should I do now?
  • Does Zotero.dot show up under Options -> Add-Ins and is it listed under Active or Inactive? If the latter, activate it by selecting "Word Addins" at the bottom of that window and clicking Manage.
  • Zotero.dot is listed as disabled application add-in. There is a scroll down menu and I have chosen word addins but there is no button called "manage" to click on?
  • Sorry, it's Go. Manage is the label for the dropdown list.
  • And then I am taken to another page - what should I do?
  • Put a checkmark next to Zotero.dot and hit OK. Might have to restart Word. If that doesn't help, check "Disabled Items" instead of "Word Addins"