Standalone not opening after upgrade (32-bit Mac OS X 10.6.8)

[Fixed in Zotero 3.0.14.1 -SK]

Hi,

There was a forced Zotero upgrade that occurred yesterday and now I cannot get the Standalone to open (Firefox add-on works). I'm working on a Mac OSX 10.6.8, and I've seen notes that the Standalone doesn't work on 10.5, but this should not be the same problem.

If I try to open Zotero in terminal, this is the error I get:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/Zotero.app.

Any advice?

Thanks.
  • Have you tried restarting? Redownloading Standalone?
  • Yes, I've tried re-starting and re-downloading Standalone, still won't open.
  • Try following these instructions to rebuild the Launch Services database.
  • I tried your suggestion, and re-started the computer again, and still can't open it.
  • Does Zotero use Java? I did the security upgrade of Java that Apple sent out today.
  • I am having the same problem, same version of Mac OSX. I have not yet installed Apple's "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 13" yet.
  • I'm not having any luck reproducing this on my 10.6.8 test system. ssx6: when you tried to open Zotero from the terminal, did you use the open command or try to run the executable directly? If the former, try the instructions from the real-time debug output page and see if there is a more informative message.
  • I've tried this and get the error "Could not find the Mozilla runtime." (again, this is the Standalone). Mind you, I did not turn on debugging, as I'm not sure how to access that from outside the program itself.

(Also, Simon: if I'm overstepping and you'd prefer ssx6 to respond instead, I can start a new discussion)
  • edited February 20, 2013
    bjsmith: this discussion is fine, since it's likely to be the same issue. Assuming your have Zotero installed in Applications, try the following command in Terminal:
    sudo dtruss -f -t open sudo -u "$USER" /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero
    If there isn't too much output, you can post it here. Otherwise, please email it to support@zotero.org.
  • Fairly short:

PID/THRD SYSCALL(args) = return
    1533/0x2a75: open("/usr/lib/dtrace/libdtrace_dyld.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0) = 3 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/dev/dtracehelper\0", 0x2, 0xBFFFD754) = 3 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/dev/dtracehelper\0", 0x2, 0x9) = 3 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/dev/dtracehelper\0", 0x2, 0xBFFFF514) = 4 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/usr/bin/sudo\0", 0x0, 0x1FF) = 4 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/usr/lib/pam/pam_permit.so.2\0", 0x0, 0x0) = 4 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/usr/lib/pam/pam_deny.so.2\0", 0x0, 0x0) = 4 0
    1533/0x2a75: open("/usr/lib/pam/pam_opendirectory.so.2\0", 0x0, 0x0) = 4 0
  • Huh, that's not exactly the output I was hoping for. Try:
    /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero-bin /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/application.ini
    and see if that actually opens Zotero. If not, try
    sudo dtruss -t open /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero-bin /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/application.ini
    and again post the output here or in an email.
  • Never mind. I tracked down the issue. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=843428 for the technical details. I'm working on a fix.
  • edited February 20, 2013
    This should be fixed in Zotero Standalone 3.0.14.1, available now.
  • That worked. Thanks!
  • That worked for me too! Thanks a lot!