GUI language switch? OpenOffice freeze upon Paste. Bibliography error.

Vista Home Premium (32-bit, English)
Firefox 2 (fully updated, Japanese)
Zotero (fully updated)
OpenOffice (2.4, Japanese)

Love Zotero. Goodbye EndNote and RefWorks! Keep up the good work!

1. Is there any way to change the GUI of the Firefox extension? The Japanese translation is imprecise in a number of frustrating areas (for example, no distinction between the title of a book and a section; both are just "Title"), but I can't find a way to change over to English.

2. I know a similar issue has been reported in at least one other post, but pasting anything from OpenOffice or Firefox into the Insert Reference dialog causes Zotero to freeze. The workaround is to open the Task Manager in Windows and kill FIrefox, but it would be nice to see this fixed.

3. I was surprised to see that Zotero's Insert Bibliography incorrectly orders sources by the same author. They only end up in partial date order, i.e. 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2000, 2006. Not a major issue, but certainly an annoyance. Pursuant to this, it would be nice if inserted multiple citations would order themselves rather than the user having to choose them in chronological order.
  • 1. You can change the Firefox GUI language by going to about:config and setting general.useragent.locale to en-US
    You can control the language used in the creation of citations by setting extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale
    If you have found problems in the Japanese locale, we strongly encourage you to participate in the localization effort at babelzilla.org. We are always looking for more help on this front.

2. Not sure here, but there the OpenOffice plugin tends to lag behind the Word plugin in reliability.

3. I believe this problem is fixed in our dev build/styles.
  • edited April 25, 2008
    Sean,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. No luck. Successfully changed the value, but even after a Firefox reset it had no effect on Zotero.

2. I can paste from Notepad, but not from OO or Firefox. Haven't tried anything else, but I'll post an update if something else turns out to work. Looking forward to an update to fix this.

3. I will check this out. Thanks for the tip! Could you tell me how to get ahold of the dev build? Thanks.

I'll look into helping with the localization this summer; I've done similar work before. Right now I just have to get through four term papers for my PhD program -- for which Zotero is a major help!
  • Update:
    1. Reset the value to the default (Japan) and restarted. And lo and behold, Zotero is in English.......

2. MindManager also crashes the Zotero dialog (i.e. Firefox)
  • Could you tell me how to get ahold of the dev build?
    You can download the dev xpi from the bottom of the svn and trac access page.