Adding citations in Word 2010 in Windows 7

After mastering Zotero in an older version of Word and Windows, I find now that when I insert a citation, all it shows is {Citation}. In the older version of everything, I was able to see the whole citation. What can I do to fix that?
  • Is that true for a new document or only for an existing one that already has Zotero citations?
  • I've only noticed it when working on a paper that already had Zotero citations in it. But the older ones appear as they always used to, so it hasn't changed any of them.
  • In fact, I just tested it, and it doesn't seem to want to add any citations at all when I start a new document.
  • see if you can provide an error report ID in Zotero after trying to insert a references:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • Solved: I chose "classic view" over whatever it was offering me, and that did the trick.
  • it'd be good to know if it still works after changing back to quick format.
  • Turns out I wasn't doing it right. I'd never seen the quick format so I didn't do it correctly. When I pressed return after choosing my citation, it worked fine. Sorry for wasting your time!
  • Actually, I've been experiencing the same symptom. I work almost exclusively out of quick format. I sometimes, not always, end up with an empty {citation} field. When I refresh all the zotero fields in the document by pressing the "refresh" button, almost always the citation becomes alive. This rescue sometimes doesn't work if I don't rescue an empty {citation} immediately after insertion. Any idea why this is happening?

BTW, I use MLZ.
  • Same issue here... I am using Mac Word 2011 and the latest Zotero Plug-in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it only adds {citation} instead of my chosen contents. I always use the classic dialog.

Any ideas? Re-installing didn't solve it. :(
  • I just started having the same problem. I've been working with Zotero for years. I have the latest versions and updated plug-ins. I'm running MAC OSX and word for Mac 2011. I've been editing a book over the last month and have had no problem until yesterday when I went to add new endnotes and only {citation} is appearing.
  • and just as a further note, if you try to edit the citation an error messages comes up saying "you must place the cursor in the Zotero citation to edit it." The cursor is in the citation at that moment.
  • mabu, randall,
    could you try some things and provide some extra info:
    1. Does this also happen when using the classic view? (you can switch to classic view by clicking on the little arrow on the left of the quick format bar or permanently in the cite tab of the Zotero preferences).
    2. Does this also happen in a fresh document with a different citation style?
    3. Could you give us a step-by-step of what you're doing?
    4. Could you provide an error report ID: http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id right after that happens?
  • I restarted my computer today and the citation systems was still not working.

I had used both the quick and classic views for the citations.
    I place the cursor at the end of a sentence, click on the zotero menu in the Word command bar, and select add citation. In some instances it was just one citation and in others it was multiple. For some I used quick and others classic.

I opened a new document and used a different citation system and it worked in that system and that document.

Returning then to the old document, suddenly the citations started working!!!! They did not refresh but I could reenter them!!

I'm not sure what changed, other than having opened a new document.
    Yesterday there was a java update for MAC.

I sent off an error message report ID 230629369

And btw, this is a fantastic and invaluable program and I really am grateful for it!
  • so randall, if I understand you correctly you're all set again?
    Obviously that shouldn't happen, but I don't think we'd be able to troubleshoot this now that you aren't able to reproduce it yourself anymore.

mabu, same questions.
  • @adamsmith
    Thanks for your response.

My system: Max OS Mountain Lion 10.8 (latest updates), MS Word for Max 2011 (latest updates), Zotero add-on for Firefox 4.0.5, plug-in for Word.

1. I tried both - quick and classic - insert methods.

2. It happened within a new doc as well. I didn't use a different style so far (I will try this, but I need to use a certain style).

3. I got like 600 different refs in the liberary I use for my actual project, put app. 800 refs to my actual doc and this error never occured before - just during the last two weeks it started to appear irregulary. I cannot enforce it and didn't notice a specific way (or ref type) it seems to be connected to. All I do is writing, clicking "Zotero Insert Citation", choosing some book etc., adding some prefix, page etc. and clicking OK. In general, it works fine, but sometimes this error destroys all the prefix just written (which can be about three lines). Once it added {Citation} I cannot modify it, I need to delete the ref and try once more.

But again - it worked so far, so I guess something changed within the code?

4. I will provide this report right after it happened next time.

Thanks for your support, have a nice weekend! :)
  • @adamsmith

It just occured again. I sent an event log (no. 1952654072).

Hope this will be helpful to solve the problem.
  • Another ID: 1949573715
  • And another ID of today:

Please let me know if I can do anything to help solving this problem!
  • edited April 27, 2013
    There have been some updates to the citation processor recently, relating to disambiguation. A bug did sneak into the code which could cause the fault you are seeing. It has been fixed, and the updated processor will appear in the next release of Zotero.

To try out the latest processor version, install this plugin. All it does is to swap the later processor into Zotero. You can uninstall it at any time, and should uninstall it when the next Zotero release comes out.

Let us know how it goes; I am keen to know whether it clears things up for you.
  • @fbennet

Thanks a lot! I just installed it. I'm going to use it the whole weekend, so hopefully I can report "no more errors" on Sunday! :)

Have a nice weekend!
  • We don't want to set our expectations too high. :-) There is a chance that the recently fixed bug was the culprit though. Will look forward to news.
  • No luck... :(

ID: 351494780
  • The developers will need to take a look at the ID report, I don't have access.

If in Firefox you check Tools -> Web Developer -> Error Console and select the Errors tab, do you see anything Zotero-related toward the bottom of the listing? An error would not necessarily be visible there, but it is one place to check.
  • I get following information there:

Error: TypeError: this._editor is undefined
    Path: chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml
    Line: 193