Zotero pane in Firefox is freezing

I have Firefox 19 beta and just installed Zotero's last version (3.0.13). I've added as few as 2 or 3 items and the main pane is freezing (hanging). It happens like this: I click an item and it's infos get loaded on the right, but nothing changes on the middle (item was clicked but does not get highlighted). Then I expand an item with an attachment, but again nothing happens (item does not get expanded), and so on.

In short words, the main (middle) pane is freezed. It only refreshes when I close it and open it again.

What should I do?

[EDIT] I just noticed that there is an even worse issue: doesn't matter how many times I close an re-open Zotero's pane in Firefox, it does not show more than 5 (five!) lines, either be the first 5 items (collapsed) or the first 5 lines of expanded items (2 lines of the first 2 items and the first line of the 3rd item). That is, I can NEVER see more than five (frozen) lines at a given time. Resizing Zotero's pane upper does not change this.
  • edited February 13, 2013
    Here it is. Report ID: 1318330915. Contents:

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]

Although it seems like the problem is gone. Restarting Firefox didn't solve it at first, but maybe restarting Windows did it. I don't know.

Still, does the report above provide any clues?
  • No, no Zotero errors in there. (There'd only be a chance of relevant errors if the you generated that after the problem occurred and before restarting Firefox.)

Let us know if it happens again (and, if so, try in a non-beta Firefox).
  • I have this problem for firefox 18.02 both for my two computers. I think it's a refrest bug. Only after i minimize firefox or mixmaize other app window, zotero act as I clicked.
  • I have reproduce this problem by the following steps:
    I'm using firefox 18.02.

1、open zotero.
    2、“new Item” by using “Store Copy of File...”, choose a pdf file and open it.
    3、right click step2's item, and click "Create Parent Item from Selected Item", then Zotero pane in Firefox is freezing.

if i restart firefox, the pane is ok.
  • You can reproduce it reliably using those steps?

I'm not able to reproduce it. Can you provide a Debug ID that covers the above steps?

It may also help if you could take a screenshot showing the problem, post it somewhere (Dropbox, imageshack.us, etc.), and provide a link here.
  • yes, i can reproduce it everytimes when i follow these steps.

I fogot to tell the eviroment about my firefox.

My os is win8 X64. firefox is 18.02 downloaded from here:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/zh-CN/

BTW:i;m not sure i can use debug ID, but i;m trying .
  • my debug id is

Debug output has been sent to the Zotero server.

The Debug ID is D1815337790.

The realtime debug log is as follows: i'm not sure it's complete, but maybe is usefull.

zotero(5): SELECT sourceItemID FROM itemAttachments WHERE itemID=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 9

zotero(5): SELECT COUNT(*) FROM deletedItems WHERE itemID=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 15

zotero(3): 'message' => "this._getItemAtRow(...) is undefined"
    'fileName' => "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js"
    'lineNumber' => 495
    'columnNumber' => 0

@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:495
    trigger@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/notifier.js:161
    commit@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/notifier.js:297
    @chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:507
    @chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.js:3753
    oncommand@chrome://browser/content/browser.xul:1

zotero(4): Calling notify('modify') on observer with hash 'zT'
  • It probably won't help, but check your database integrity from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • You should also try disabling your other Firefox extensions.
  • I have already checked my database, and i 'm using a brandnew firefox instance without any other extensions, but the problem is still there.
  • Can you provide a screenshot?
  • How can i provide a screenshot?

Can i have your email address?
  • Post it to a free image hosting site like imgur.com and provide the link here.
  • i have recorded a avi, plz download it and look at it.

green circle is for left click, while red circle is for right click

http://dl.vmall.com/c05utzc35a

can u download it now?
  • don't worry ,it's be examined by website, maybe need some time. when i find it's done, i'll post a notice here.
  • try this

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=316143&uk=2819216263
  • or this, the code is 6395

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=316242&uk=2819216263
  • The above enviroment is win8 X64, english firefox 18.02, only Zotero extention.
  • i'm not sure you can access chinese website, so i upload it to rapidshare

http://rapidshare.com/files/4095922077/Zotero%20firefox%20bug.avi

is it Ok this time?
  • edited February 18, 2013
    Sorry to take too long. My freezing problem is intermittent, so I saved a Report ID from the last time Zotero froze (but didn't post it here it immediately because I was busy). It's Report ID 1632665735 and here are it's contents:

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._getItemAtRow(...) is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 880}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: obj is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js" line: 808}]

[additional errors removed — D.S.]

But some minutes ago it just got worse. I've got the following error message on Zotero pane:

"An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox. You can report this error by selecting 'Report Errors...' from the Actions (gear) menu."

So here it is, the new Report ID: 544294075.

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: getFile() can only be called on attachment items"]

[JavaScript Error: "State check failed due to transaction in progress"]

Any clues of what should I do?
    alainsr: Can you come up with reliable steps to reproduce this after a Firefox restart?
    Also, futurehost, thanks for the video—it's very helpful. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to be able to reproduce this myself in order to fix it, and I haven't been able to so far.
  • OK, I was just able to reproduce it, so there may be hope.
  • All right, if you can reproduce this reliably, install the latest 3.0 Branch dev XPI over your current version and let me know if that fixes the problem. (You can then either stay on that or switch back to 3.0.13 and wait for for 3.0.14, which will likely be out in a day or two.)
  • 3.0.14 is now available. No need to try the dev XPI.
  • Thanks,it's ok,now. Thanks for your effort! Good job!