Report # 1676037379

I am trying to sync between office and home computers. Both are linux Firefox. The error "Name 'Committee on the Long-Run Macro-Economic Effects o…' too long" occurs. Oddly, the long string was accepted but now seems stuck in the online database. I have edited the field of the record locally, then deleted the entry entirely, then dumped the trash, but none of these allowed me to sync. The same error occurs. I believe that I have the same version of Zotero running on both machines. Please advise.
  • If you're still getting the message, the item definitely still exists in one of your libraries.
  • I managed to track it down, thanks. It was in both a group and my personal library.

I am a bit confused at why the too-long field made it through, syncronized, but then could not be handled by a second Zotero instance. Zotero can write records it cannot then read?

I am not sure what to do with the apparent limit on field length. Here is the official 'author' as stipulated by the National Research Council of NAS:

Committee on the Long-Run Macro-Economic Effects of the Aging U.S. Population; Board on Mathematical Sciences and Their Applications; Division on Engineering and Physical Science; Committee on Population; Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education.
  • Looks to me like those are 3 separate institutional authors www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=13465&page=R1
  • That's a good idea. I will tried that approach and it seems to work quite well. No sync issues.

The site's citation manager thinks that there is one, hierarchical author. The RIS formats have no author at all!

@book{national2012Aging,
    title={Aging and the Macroeconomy: Long-Term Implications of an Older Population},
    author={Committee on the Long-Run Macro-Economic Effects of the Aging U.S. Population; Board on Mathematical Sciences and Their Applications; Division on Engineering and Physical Science; Committee on Population; Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Edu},
    isbn={9780309261968},
    url={http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=13465},
    year={2012},
    publisher={The National Academies Press}
    }
  • edited January 30, 2013
    That just looks like bad bibtex and should be reported to NAP.
    Correctly this should be
    author={{Committee on the Long-Run Macro-Economic Effects of the Aging U.S. Population} and {Board on Mathematical Sciences and their Applications} and {Division on Engineering and Physical Science; Committee on Population; Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education}}
    (Zotero may currently not import those correctly, but that will be fixed in the next couple of days).

(To explain: multiple authors should be separated by "and" and corporate authors should be encased in curly brackets.
  • their bibtex is generally faulty, unfortunately, even where the RIS is better.