Evernote export not working

2»
  • I tried 5 different items, but they all are showing the same error.
  • I'm picking this up from a few months ago. I'd also like to know how to correct the error Evernote seems to be having with ZotFile. It's a shame, since Evernote provides great flexibility when exporting from Zotero.
  • As I say a couple of times above, I'm pretty sure ZotFile is not the issue here. If there is a problem with importing Zotero's export into Evernote, I'd need a minimal example (i.e. <50 items) shared via github, Dropbox or the like to take a look.
  • I am having the same issue (on the Evernote side), even when trying to import a single .enex file

The error message says "Could not import notes, error: INCOMPLETE_DOC (Error in line 1, token "/en-export /note /content")

Evernote doesn't offer support for its free version, so I can't report this error to them.
  • edited July 13, 2018
    As per above:
    If there is a problem with importing Zotero's export into Evernote, I'd need a minimal example (i.e. <50 items) shared via github, Dropbox or the like to take a look. </blockquote>
  • Thanks Adam. How do I show this via github?
  • Assuming you have a github account, open the Zotero export with a text editor, select all, and copy
    then go to gist.github.com
    paste --> create public (or secret; doesn't matter) gist at the bottom of the screen
    and provide the URL here.

You can do the same thing with e.g. hastebin.com without an account.
  • Oddly enough if I do one file with plain text notes it seems to work. I'm not exactly sure why it's having difficulty with more than one source.
  • Okay, it seems that the class attributes in the notes in the enex files are creating a problem (error message is "No declaration for attribute class of element div"). I just deleted all class attributes in the exported notes and this works for me. @quirkja Can you confirm that this file https://hastebin.com/oqusovixun.xml works for you as well?

@adamsmith The classes like "csl-bib-body" or "csl-entry" don't have any meaning when imported into Evernote, correct? Thus, we could delete all class-attributes before exporting to ENEX-format to solve this problem.
  • correct, those are just from copying Zotero bibliographies & would be safe to strip.
  • Hi both,

Thanks for this. It seems to have worked for me with the hastebin file provided.

Going forward is there an easy way to export from Evernote or some sort of command I can run to scrub the class attributes before importing into Evernote?

Thanks,
  • Thanking for checking and confirmation about the plan. I will work on this now to fix it in the Zotero translator. The easiest way is therefore just to wait a little...
  • Thanks. I'll wait to hear back from you. Could you let me know when this is done? Thanks very much.
  • Okay, my fixes are now integrated. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

However, Evernote seems to be quite picky when importing such files. There were some length constraints in some fields, some characters not allowed, and some standard HTML elements or attributes are not allowed. I tried to fix as many of these issues as I encountered, but I cannot be sure that there could also be more.

If you encounter any further problems with the import, then I would appreciate, when you can create a minimal example and provide that here, because this will take otherwise too much time for me to find out.
  • Thank you for this. Forgive my ignorance, but where am I looking for the Zotero Connector preferences? Is this in the application itself?
  • It's been life for 48hs, you shouldn't need to do anything to update translators. (The connector preferences are accessible in the Zotero connector for Chrome or Firefox when you right-click on the Save to Zotero Icon)
  • edited October 13, 2019
    This seems to be working when I tested it. Thank you both for your help!