Transfer via export/import broken without error message (won't import entries into subfolders)

Not sure if this has been reported before (I'm new to zotero and the forums) - however it has bitten me (not sure about the right term, my native language is German), so I'd thought I ask for help or at least do warn other affected.

From repeated tests I'm able to reproduce that (unfortunately) when I export a library in Zotero RDF format (regardless if with notes and files or without), then re-import into another (new) emply database, references in sub-folders are not restored (the folders are there, but empty).

With 'sub-folders' I'm referring to the second level of folders ('folders' being on the first level below the library root). Please note that the sub-folders themselves are restored - however they are empty.

I'm aware that the main entries themselves are still in the main library - it's 'just' (however it's a main annoyance) that the respective references in the sub-folders are lost.

Any idea as to why this is (a bug?) or how I can work around this? (I'm asking as my database got corrupted before I had a chance to save the zotero folder with the SQLite file itself - thus I needed to restore from an export I created along the way.

This will most likely also affect people who move data between machines/installations through RDF export/import.

This is on a German WinXP with FireFox 2.0.0.14.

Thanks in advance for any hints /comments.
  • Others have reported this. RDF export isn't intended for backup or to transfer your database to another machine--ideally, you should duplicate the zotero data directory.

Have you tried to use the database recovery tool?
  • Thanks for you follow up.

>>> Have you tried to use the database recovery tool?

I thought about asking but then just reimported the RDF export and fiddled with putting the references back into the sub folders (that worked, it weren't THAT many).

However, can you please direct me to the where I can find the "database recovery tool"? (It would be reassuring for the future to test that and find that it indeed would have been able to fix the broken database. I have to confess that I got a bit nervous about the database problems given that I plan on rather heavy use of Zotero.)

Note: I tried to locate the database recovery tool through the search on the support tab. The search result did not yield any success as it tried to link me to the following address:

http://192.168.1.100:81/documentation/?do=search&id=database+recovery

which looks like a local adress. (Same for blog posts.)

Just thought I mention in case this in a genral problem with the search on the Zotero support site. (Great product, btw, and great community!)
  • http://www.zotero.org/utils/dbfix/